Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Recommendations for RO/DI Unit

vrobnson

Hi All!

I am preparing to get back into the hobby after a short (4 years) hiatus, but right now I am getting ready for a wedding in about 3 weeks. I am trying to multi-task as I map out my equipment list so when I get back from my honeymoon, I can concentrate on setting my tank up!

I will be purchasing the Red Sea Max 130D and I am trying to get recommendations on a RO/DI unit; I am not too keen on going back and forth to the LFS to pick up water as it would be too much of a hassle for me. I have been taking some notes and I recall reading a thread on here where someone mentioned a particular unit. (my notes included websites where I had done research on it). For the life of me, I can't recall where the notes are so I thought I'd come here and see what you guys recommend.

Once I get everything set up, I will certainly be coming back for assistance as I am pretty rusty and it will almost be as if I am completely starting from scratch in the hobby.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

AZDesertRat

Nothing compares to Spectrapure period.

No other vendor specially treats and tests their RO membranes, no other vendor uses the much better absolute rated sediment filters to protect the carbon block and RO membrane, no other vendor custom blends every ounce of their reef specific DI resins in house based on tens of thousands of hours of real world testing and only a few other vendors use the much better capillary tube flow restrictors. Also only one other vendor has been around over 25 years in the water treatment industry which means a lot.

$128 for a real reef quality RO/DI and they don't come any better or less expensive.

www.spectrapure.com

$128 for a real reef quality RO/DI and they don't come any better or less expensive.

www.spectrapure.com

I know they used to offer a Nano-Reef discount, but I don't know what happened to it. Which unit is $128?

:blush:
Sorry... I didn't even look at the home page (went right to the RO/DI systems). Yeah, even for a refurb, that's a pretty good deal.

AZDesertRat

The refurb is a misnomer. The housings may have a scratch or scuff from sitting on a shelf but all the filters, membrane and resins are brand new. The hundreds who have purchased these units swear they are brand new, I have not seen even one report of any problems on all the forums.

At $128 thats $71 off the normal price so I doubt they could offer any further discount.

Good point. I assumed new filters, but I figured they might just be: returned units, units that had a bad fitting replaced, or something similar that wouldn't affect reliability or performance.

AZDesertRat

I am told they have never been used, they are returns from a large vendor who went out of business so they got them back. They completely go through every one before reselling it.

I think they mention this at the top of the sales flyer.

www.portablewaterdi.com

Assuming TDS of 250ppm, it looks like (after the initial $299 investment) it will cost about $0.33 per gallon.

Assuming TDS of 250ppm, it looks like (after the initial $299 investment) it will cost about $0.33 per gallon.

Thanks for the feedback; this gives me somewhere to start.

Considering what most RO/DI units can run, I will certainly look at the refurbished ones from Spectrapure as a start.

I still welcome other suggestions as well.

Thanks again!

AZDesertRat

On average owning your own personal RO/DI will cost you less than $0.05 a gallon for RO/DI water. This cost includes both national average water and sewer rates, replacement sediment and carbon block filters every 6 months and DI resin replacements.

The DI will provide you about 180 gallons of water given the input water is 250 tds...Youre getting pure water though...you do not have to filter anything out or balance anything.

AZDesertRat

Very expensive for only 180 gallons of water.

A good RO membrane will turn that 250 TDS water into 4-5 TDS water and make a 20 oz DI cartridge last 1000-2000 gallons of 0 TDS water. The RO/DI is a much better value.

You will also find DI by itself is not particularly good and removing some weakly ionized substances such as phosphates, silicates and nitrates, just as a RO membrane by itself is not 100% effective and many things. It takes the combination of activated carbon, reverse osmosis and deionization to be 100% effective. A $128 RO/DI system provides this and gives you good filter life with true 18.2 megaohm resistivity treated water.

If I had a bigger tank I'd buy one of these. Then again, I'm considering buying one just so my friend will start using RO/DI in her tanks. I can't stand the algee she has because of the tap water she uses.

• 4 weeks later...
Drunken Master
Has anyone used this one?I was looking it over.Any inputs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-G-Aquarium-Reef...=item19c16aefdb

I use a 50gpd ro/di unit from them (the cheaper one) it works and gets the job done, tds meter reads 0. I only use about 2 gallons a week so its perfect for me but if I needed more I would definitely go with a BRS or the refurbished spectrapure.

Most ebay units including that one are very low end and not worth the money. Notice things like 5 micron unnamed filters instead of 1.0 micron absolute rated name brand filters, a second unneeded carbon block, an unnamed RO membrane and only 50 GPD, and worst of all a little throw away inefficient horizontal DI.

You ge twhat you pay for with RO/DI and cheap is not where you want to be, it will bite you.

Feature for feature compare the $128 Spectrapure system to any other you can find and you will not even consider anything else, even BRS which is nothing special in my professional opinion.

Again BRS is not in the same league. They do not use absolute rated sediment filters in the 0.2, 0.5 or 1.0 micron ranges, do not specially treat their RO membranes to improve both their rejection rate and GPD then either batch test or individually hand test them for quality control, do not custom blend every ounce of their DI resins in house based on thousands of hours of real world testing and do not use the much better capillary tube flow restrictors. You are not getting the best bang for your buck and it will cost more to own and operate over time guaranteed.

Archived