Pod Your Reef

NAC 3.5 Protein Skimmer

Archangel-44

Archangel-44

Hello all,

I am a Newb to this addictive hobby and I'm having a issue. I have a 30gal cube with a sump and NAC Protein Skimmer. Did my water change today as I do every weekend and My skimmer has decided to go Crazy. Now I have read about skimmer Crack but I thought that only lasted a short time to clear itself up. This has lasted a couple of hours now and still has not stopped bubbling over. I have always had issue with adjusting the skimmer that has been in my sump 2 months. My tank has been up and running since march of this year so the cycle is not the issue.I was wondering if the skimmer might be having a melt down.Any advice sure would help!

Thanks In advance,

Archangel

Hello all
Hi.

My skimmer has decided to go Crazy.
My guess... You are not seeing the really fine bubbles anymore. If that's the case, the skimmer's air intake has developed deposits on it and it's not drawing enough air in any longer. I use a drill bit (but not in the drill) to push out the deposits (and then clean in vinegar). Hope that solves your problem.

Good thought; but if it's like mine, that won't do it. Even running a vinegar solution through it didn't resolve the problem (even soaking in pure vinegar). The deposits clogged the plastic fitting that the hose attaches to, and not the hose itself.

I have the same skimmer and I can't imagine running this without a topoff. Works great but 1/2" water level change is the difference between no skimmate and overflowing it.

Archangel-44

WOW your not kidding it is VERY sensitive! I have yet to find a setting I can just put it on and leave it alone..I seem to be adjusting it all the time it's either to wet or no skimate..I have been told its a good skimmer but I mean come on really does it really need to be that sensitive!

WOW your not kidding it is VERY sensitive! I have yet to find a setting I can just put it on and leave it alone..I seem to be adjusting it all the time it's either to wet or no skimate..I have been told its a good skimmer but I mean come on really does it really need to be that sensitive!

Well, it's not all that sensitive. Your problem is likely not having a consistent water level. How often do you top off during the day? I barely had to touch mine and never had a problem with it over flowing, but I also run a tunze ATO. I set mine at 4 and a water level of 8 1/2". Although, every system is different, here's the skimmer production at day 5.

5daysa.jpg

Archangel-44

Wow I guess I better look into a auto top off system! I top off once a day and I have only had skimate that dark maybe once. I guess its not skimming well at all. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.. GREAT GROUP!

Archived