inTank Media Baskets

New LED Build

NemesiS153

firstly hi, first time posting on this forum, but seems like the best place for DIY led builds :)

My tank is 48" x 15" x 15" and currently has some old T5 above it. All levels are fine but im still not getting much growth apart from red hair algae!!!... so new light here we come

Ive been advised that 48 LEDs would be a good amount if im looking to move into SPS at a later date (currently only got softies mostly zoas) so here is my current specs -

32 x Cree XT-E Royal Blue

16 x Cree XM-L Cool Whites

48 x Adhesive pads

48 x 60 Degree optics

Any views? would 60 degree optics be my best bet for my tank?

I was originally going for the 3ups on ledgroupbuy but since then ive been advised that XM-L would be far better. Should i reduce the amount due to the increased output?

I could also do with some advice on a drivers depending on the above answers. I'll be doing an Arduino unit at a later date but for now just having a manual dimmer

Cheers

eddiecorrea

From what I have heard neutral whites provide a better color. Maybe mix some neutrals and cool whites? Maybe someone can chime in with more info as I own a Kessil. Never could get into the DIY on LEDs. I'm too picky about aesthetics. haha

:welcome: to NR!

thanks, so hard to get the balance right and i guess its all personal. Have also been advised to through a little warm white lol :lol:

So after talking to @Milad hes advised i run the XM-L lower powered but this would make the lighting too blue so as talked about above i'll be swapping for neutral white. Also sorted the drivers. Anything else i need to think about?

16 x Cree XM-L Neutral Whites

48 x Adhesive pads

48 x 60 Degree optics

Inventronics 75w driver - 700mA

Inventronics 40w driver - 700mA

jedimasterben
So after talking to @Milad hes advised i run the XM-L lower powered but this would make the lighting too blue so as talked about above i'll be swapping for neutral white. Also sorted the drivers. Anything else i need to think about?

16 x Cree XM-L Neutral Whites

48 x Adhesive pads

48 x 60 Degree optics

Inventronics 75w driver - 700mA

Inventronics 40w driver - 700mA

I would not purchase XM-L if you plan to run them at 700ma. They are nearly double the cost of the XP-G for a possible 31 lumen increase at 700ma. The XM-L were designed and manufactured to run efficiently at high amperages, so, IMHO, unless you're going to do that, get the XT-E white. I can guarantee you would not notice the difference, minus paying significantly less.

jedimasterben

If you do want to run the XM-L, run them at least on a 2A driver, use less of them, and use a higher ratio to RB - shoot for 1:3 or 1:4.

If so, I'd do:

4-5x XM-L NW

12-15x or 16x-20x RB

And I think 16x XT-E, even at 700ma, is too much for that tank without significant dimming - 8-10x will provide great coverage and plenty of power for even SPS. I use 12x NW and 24x RB Luxeon Rebel ES (slightly more output than the XT-E NW, and much more than the RB) on a 48"x24"x16" tank, so quite a bit more surface area to cover, and I can keep SPS on my sandbed (in fact, I need to dim them to keep SPS on the rocks from burning up from too much light), with no optics, 12" above the water's surface.

And for drivers - keep in mind that Inventronics do not support PWM control, which is the only output that Arduino chips run. You would need to buy or make an adapter to have it work properly, but it will still not be as smooth as a true PWM-controlled driver would be.

thanks for that, i'll take a look at the XT-E then. Based on your feedback should i go for 36 LEDs total then at a 1:2 NW/RB?

In terms of drivers, i was looking at the Meanwell Ps but im not sure if my arduino controller will be ready in time. Ive ordered the parts but im sure writing the code may take some time.

Archived