Innovative Marine Aquariums

reef supplements

neumahrs

if anyone uses supplements...what kind do you use? I been using these sea-lab formula 28 blocks for all calcium and trace mineral replenishing. Just curious to see what other people are using

I use Kents Liquid Calcium mid-week and weekends dose C-balance. I dont add anything else, water changes should take care of all other trace elements.

suave suave. nothing wrong with asking, more wrong in not asking and then doing. (btw, the search button's in the upper right)

b-ionic is a good two-part calcium and additive supplement. c-balance with combisan is ok too. kent's is also ok but gets expensive to dose every little element.

oh btw, that was dave's obligatory welcome! :P

if i may recommend something!!!

invest your money in a good test kit and test water before and after water change. that will give you an idea of what your tank needs..test for calcium. etc. ...

its not a good idea, just adding supplements if you dont even know your water parameters

good luck,

mike

the sea-lab formula 28 is a block of minerals and calcium that is released as needed..And yeah i do have a test kit for calcium and i was at 220...after 2 days with the block its been held at 440-460. My corraline is taking off and the eelgrass as well as some of ther other macroalgae has grown really nicely since the addition. My shrimp molted a day after i added..i'm thinking the additional iodine/iodide from the block helped this.,,but you are right..a good test kit is more essential then adding supplements..especially since you might not even needed.

"Dave ESPI DO A SEARCH !

DAYUM ! there is like 10 threds on this....... sheesh... newbies..."

yeah i'm a newbie to this site so ppppppppppppbbbbbbbbbttttttttttt.....lol

I use B-Ionic for calcium and alk. FWIW, Combisan was the center of quite a scandal a year or so back. Dr. Shimek had a batch tested and found it was essentially water with almost nothing in it.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp

The label says that the contents should total about 2400 ppm. The tested samples are around 150. So these samples had roughly 1/16 th the amount of material in them that they should have.  

And nobody noticed ????

Those results were confirmed in a second independant study (my link is broken and I'm looking for where it went)

Ty

Archived