Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Color to replace UV?

Yves17

I add 2 UV to my fixture and I don't see any difference O_O maybe is because I was expecting something else but I want to change. any color recommended or add 2 more blues? and yes I like those exotic colors xD

Orange but i would do 2 blues instead

uv is not visible to human eye

In fact it's not recommend ,it can burn corals if there to much.Thats why MH have a uv protector to limit the amount of uv getting thru. You can go with some TV's but they won't make a big visible difference.

jedimasterben
In fact it's not recommend ,it can burn corals if there to much.Thats why MH have a uv protector to limit the amount of uv getting thru. You can go with some TV's but they won't make a big visible difference.

They won't make a difference to the visible light at all, even in high quantities, but the fluorescence and growth that it gives to corals is completely unmatched.

OP, I would very highly recommend ditching the UV and switching with a high-wavelength violet, something with most of its output above 400nm. You will be disappointed with coral colorations after removing the ones you have now, but I would very much recommend switching them out for another violet.

And dling, the UV protector on MH lamps only cuts out 20-60% of the toal UVA, UVB, and UVC output by halides, and water cuts the rest out within 16" or so, but corals actually make their own "UV filter" via a clear slime coat they produce, but still can only handle just so much UV before failing and destroying it.

firebirdude

I ran two 3W Prolight UV LEDs I ordered from Europe over my Biocube for 2 years....alongside a CW and RB mix. Wasn't pleased with the coloring of the corals. So I can't say UVs did anything special for me. They did however leave two brown marks on the plastic splash guard covering them.

Well I am getting cyano now and I was reading about the UV and cyano but idk if thats true. I think I will just do Royal Blue, I don't know if I will like an orange looking in my tank O_O.

jedimasterben
Well I am getting cyano now and I was reading about the UV and cyano but idk if thats true. I think I will just do Royal Blue, I don't know if I will like an orange looking in my tank O_O.

Cyano isn't caused by violet light.

Archived