ReefCleaners.org

New to Par30 bulbs

Chico Reefer

Chico Reefer

Hi my name is Anthony I've been another lurker around here for awhile now, this is my first post. I have had my 20g high running since oct. of last year with Odyssea 24" 96w t5ho deluxe light fixture with glo bulbs. I want to upgrade to 2 Par30 bulbs. These ones Aquasunspot 7. Will these 2 bulbs be enough for my 20h? Here is my tank.

20High-1.jpg

Chico Reefer

Lol, I want too but its really an online gift certificate. I ordered live coral and fish from petco and the shipment didn't make a plane. Which caused my package to be 2 days late. Petco gave me a full online gift certificate refund for any losses lol which there wasn't any. I don't really know how to go about selling it?

The fact that they're overpriced and only using 1w LEDs would keep me away. 14 1watt LEDs aren't going to be an upgrade over your 4-bulb T5, even if it is only an Odyssea one.

Chico Reefer

What about the 4 bulb t5ho coralife? I know there not complete individual reflectors but there better reflectors then the single odyssea one. Basically I have $220 to burn on an upgrade for my reef from the petco website and I can't figure out what will best benefit my reef.

Jacob042426

i'd say get an mp10. if your lighting is already good, why change it? mp10 is the best pump out there and will make a huge difference.

I wouldn't worry to much about the lighting at this point. I myself have a 20" Odyssea light over my 10G and it's been great. Going on a year now and I've had no problems. I just replace the bulbs every 8-9 months. Corals and fish are happy, so I'm happy.

There is also a thread on here somewhere, where a member did a review and a par reading of the 20" or 24" Odyssea light and the results were great. Par reading over a 10G tank, 4in above the tank were awesome. The only thing that wasn't the greatest, as per the review, was the constructionon the balast themselves. But compaired to the much older versions of the Odyssea lights it was a huge improvement. So based on that review and it's par readings is one of the reason why I went with that T5 fixture, not to mention the price point.

Chico Reefer

Not really too worried about lighting, Just need to get rid of this petco online gift certificate thats burning a hole in my pocket. Been scrolling the website for days and the lights were the only thing I could come up with. Thought about a skimmer?

Chico Reefer
Your tank looks great, FWIW I wouldn't change the lighting to the lamps you've linked.

Thank you, does anyone on here run the 24" coralifes?

Chico Reefer

Went to the LFS today, owner offered me a 24" Aqualight pro for $100 only used for a couple hours. Don't like the 10k bulb, any advice on a new bulb or fixture. Do I acclimate, shorter hours, mesh screen, never had a Metal Halide fixture before. Did I even get a good deal?

If the light you just posted about for getting it for $100 then I would say you got a steal. About 4 years ago I had the odyssea PC over my 45g and I had not a single problem out of it but I decided to sell that tank and move up to a 90g SPS tank and I had two 400 watt MH and I hated it because of the heat output and made my bed room feel like a oven but eventually I sold that tank got out of the hobby for a few years and now I'm finally back in it with my 34g solana that is almost 3 months old and is doing great. When I decided lighting for my new tank I wanted LEDs because of the life span and no heat output. I started off with the Kessil a350 and it was a okay light but wasn't what I was looking for so now I have the AI Sol with controller and I love it. If you have a good light then keep it but if you really want another light fixture look into LEDs for sure because you are going to have nothing but heat problems with that new MH fixture and will probably have to run a fun or a chiller if worse comes to worse but just like I was saying if you have a good light already then don't go blowing money and invest in a protein slimmer. Hope this helped with my life long story lol.

• 1 year later...

This is my 20g high after using the coralife MH for around a year now. I used 150w 14k hamiltons for around 6 months then switched to the Phoenix 14k. Just wanted to show a couple growth pics.

post-73953-0-86687600-1379285343_thumb.jpeg

post-73953-0-03601400-1379285356_thumb.jpg

post-73953-0-91140700-1379285551_thumb.jpg

post-73953-0-63497400-1379286121_thumb.jpg

Why not use it to stock up on extra bulbs, replacing them is probably pretty pricey no? Grab some salt mix while you're at it lol I'm sure I could figure out a way to spend it you can even get more live stock if you have any left over.

Lol kinda confused. Was just showing some pics of my reef a year later after owning the MH fixture. Did u mean to reply to a different topic?

That sucks, think I was one of the lucky ones. I've never had to do anything special to get mine to grow. If you see in the first pic the frag plug in the middle with xenia on it was only 3 stocks to begin with.

justin carnecchia

Damn my xenia is almost as much as a problem as my brypopsis. LOL.

Took me a minute to realize this thread is a year old. Your tank looks great man.

Archived