SaltCritters.com

Biocube 14 reef

TheReefGuy

Alright guys so this past summer I decided to get back into reefing. I started with a 10 gallon tank and quickly upgraded to a 20g long. However, I am moving back to college in august, so I decided to downgrade again to a biocube 14 gallon. I stumbled across a sick deal:

DIY rapidLED dimmable solderless lights 14 total

Maxijet 900 upgraded pump

Koralia Nano

Heater

InTank media rack

So I immediately hopped on it.

Currently my 20 gallon is fishless because it had ich and now Im stuck with a coral only tank for 3 more weeks which is kinda boring, but oh well. Once the ich goes through its life cycle (or before, who knows), I plan on transferring everything to the BC14, however I want to get it completely set up before I do that. That means, I want to get a few questions answered:

1. I want to get a wavemaker attachment for the out-take pump from the rear chamber. I saw something I think it was called a sea spin, but now that I google it I cant find it.

2. The DIY led lights are dimmable, but only on a single channel. What would I need to buy so that I can hook them up to a controller and have them automatically increase and decrease intensity throughout the day? I also would want to be able to control the whites and blues separately.

3. What is a good, cheap controller for what I am looking for?

4. Does anyone else have a biocube 14 and a good stand for it that they bought somewhere else (Ikea, officemax, etc), if so, can you give me a link?

5. Stocking - I want to keep it really simple. I was thinking a clown and a royal gramma. Or a clown and some sort of goby - looking for suggestions on the goby.

6. Corals - Currently all I have is a ricordea frag, a GSP frag, and a single mushroom head. However, I want this tank to be mostly LPS and ricordeas. I am thinking maybe a split. Rics on the left, LPS on the right. Maybe some zoas thrown in there.

Aquascaping - I want to go with a cove style aquascaping with rocks up to the front wall on the left and right sides, but open sand in the middle. I think I have some good LR to accomplish this, so itll be all good.

Other thoughts - Since seeing my fish die from ich, it gave the pods a chance to really flourish, well more like explode in growth. They're everywhere. I find this very interesting, and would like my tank to be as diversified as possible in such a small space. I want there to be everything in this tank, so I was thinking of maybe buying the pod package from reefcleaners to get some good stuff thriving in the tank. Just a thought.

Im picking up the tank sometime next week so Ill take some pictures then!

Hopefully picking up tank today or tomorrow. Ill post pics when I get it. Also, if anyone can answer some of my questions that'd be great.

heres something to help guide you!

and dont ever let people tell you what you can AND CANT do with a bc14!

6205824289_a9c0f736e0_z.jpg

Full Tank Shot 10-2-11 by J.L Photography, on Flickr

6205831359_7b2a34df40_z.jpg

TopShot by J.L Photography, on Flickr

also, do yourself a favor and setup the intank rear basket and throw some chaeto in there, with water changes youll have any reef setup you want!

Damn, real nice tank. Truly inspiring. I got a real nice trumpet coral and either a green or purple tipped (cant quite remember) frogspawn frag today. Ill take pics of those tomorrow.

Archived