Cultivated Reef

LED needs for a Pico

AlexNY

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here. I recently bought an Aqueon evolve 2, which I am planning to run as a Pico reef. While it's billed as a 2 gallon, the display is probably more like 1.5-1.75.

The tank came with an LED fixture on an arm over the tank which seems fairly bright to me for most applications. I've run a 43 gallon mixed reef, 10 gallon BioCube, and a 200 gallon FOWLR tank in the past but its been 5 or 6 years. I've enclosed a picture of the display (lit) and the fixture itself. What are your thoughts on using the LED as is? I've been thinking about replacing it with a PAR30 bulb set up but as you can see there's not a lot of room in the location I've chosen (kitchen counter). Any thoughts?

Another option I was considering is maybe adding another fixture with more blue diodes to offset the white in the stock fixture.

Thanks!!

post-75780-1343807299_thumb.jpg

post-75780-1343807323_thumb.jpg

post-75780-1343807341_thumb.jpg

Commented on your other post but the stock lighting will produce growth in most soft corals but that's about it. I upgraded mine to a 8watt led fixture from wave point with 4blue and 4 white, I've had lots of growth from my zoas and my shrooms seem to being just fine as well. Plan on putting some lps in it within the next couple of weeks

Archived