Pod Your Reef

LED Refugium Lighting

Wizzy

I currently plan on using a 40 breeder as a refugium.

I need LED Light(s) that will illuminate that space.

DIY or Premade.

I want to keep the price as low as possible.

Suggestions?

I'm using PAR 38 LED grow lights I got on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BL2TAK/. Absolutely incredible chaeto growth. You would need several of these because they have very narrow lenses.

What's your budget range?

Thanks for the link- I've been looking at those, but as you stated the narrow angle is a worry.

I can probably go up to $300, but I'd rather not Lol.

I'm trying to keep my system build relatively inexpensive (Everything for around $1000).

But then again, nothing seems to stay inexpensive in this hobby for very long :lol:

I have the opportunity to get a couple of used Marineland Reef Capable 36-48" fixtures.

I know these are only 1 watt LEDs, but would 2 of them over a 40 breeder be capable of growing my chaeto?

Can they grow soft corals or anything lol?

Marineland has a Plant LED system that would be plenty bright. It's about $275 for a 36" version of it though. It uses 3w led's, mostly 6500K white.

You could also just go with a dual T5HO fw fixture which you can probably find for under $100. Should be plenty for chaeto or other macros.

The Marineland's will probably work fine, but the light is pretty blue and seems like a waste on a fuge to me. Why does it need to be LED? Why not get a 2-bulb T5 fixture with all white lights (6.5 to 10K)? The Fish Need It one is like $100 after shipping.

Marineland has a Plant LED system that would be plenty bright. It's about $275 for a 36" version of it though. It uses 3w led's, mostly 6500K white.

You could also just go with a dual T5HO fw fixture which you can probably find for under $100. Should be plenty for chaeto or other macros.

Thanks for letting me know about the plant version- however I don't think I want to spend that much on a Marineland LED.

The 6500k white LEDS aren't 3Watts only the Reds, blues, and greens.

The Marineland's will probably work fine, but the light is pretty blue and seems like a waste on a fuge to me. Why does it need to be LED? Why not get a 2-bulb T5 fixture with all white lights (6.5 to 10K)? The Fish Need It one is like $100 after shipping.

For me LEDs are a no brainer- you spend a little more up front, but they last for 10+ years and there's almost no maintenance involved.

I can't bring myself to pay $20 a bulb every 6-8 months.

Do you think the Marineland LEDs would be capable of growing macro algae though?

The person is selling them for $75 a piece 36-48" version.

I think the Marineland LEDs should work.

My only worry is with LEDs burning out or connector problems- two problems I've heard about.

Especially considering the fact that the light has been used for almost a year.

Thoughts?

Had a marineland led light that came with a kit, the smaller one that comes with 20 gal kits. Got it in November of last year and one row of LED's already burnt out cause a little salt creep got around it. Not sure about the larger fixtures though

Had a marineland led light that came with a kit, the smaller one that comes with 20 gal kits. Got it in November of last year and one row of LED's already burnt out cause a little salt creep got around it. Not sure about the larger fixtures though

Ya, unless I can get the craigslist guy to come down on the price a lot I probably won't do it.

Not worth worrying about them all the time.

Have you checked out reef brite strips. They have white in the 8000K range. They are extremely bright.

Those look pretty nice, but I'd be worried about them illuminating the width of the 40 breeder.

----

I'm thinking that I may just want to do an Aquastyle 36 Kit- hopefully keeping the price under $200.

Thoughts/More Suggestions?

Archived