Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which sand for my tank?

darkwhitemagic

darkwhitemagic

Im starting a 90 gallon (48x18x24) mixed reef, and I'm wondering what sand I should get. hopefully I can get this thing started within two weeks, but heres what I'm looking for:

live sand or dead sand?

what brand?

what color?

post pictures of you sand beds so I can get an idea!

thanks in advance

albertthiel
Im starting a 90 gallon (48x18x24) mixed reef, and I'm wondering what sand I should get. hopefully I can get this thing started within two weeks, but heres what I'm looking for:

live sand or dead sand?

what brand?

what color?

thanks in advance

Buy live sand from a local LFS that has a nice and clean set up FWIW

IMO i would go with live sand due to already having bacteria in the tank if you will be purchasing live rock but if you buy dead rock it really doesnt matter! Now with the size grain you plan on getting that depends on the water flow because if you get real fine sand you will just be blowing it every where so i recommend something that is not real fine. Get on the web and check out all the different sand out there.

darkwhitemagic

I honestly don't think i could get any GOOD sand from any LFS tank... one near me is really clean, well set up, and feels like your walking into an aquarium you have to pay for.... but they normally don't do stuff like that. then there is another one that is the exact opposite, but would gladly give me sand. I don't go to the unclean, poorly managed one, so like i said I don't think I have that option. (I don't go there because I don't trust anything they sell...)

IMO i would go with live sand due to already having bacteria in the tank if you will be purchasing live rock but if you buy dead rock it really doesnt matter! Now with the size grain you plan on getting that depends on the water flow because if you get real fine sand you will just be blowing it every where so i recommend something that is not real fine. Get on the web and check out all the different sand out there.

I have kinda looked into it.... I'm getting things like engineer gobies and whatnot so I can't have coarse sand or gravel...

If I'm getting live rock isn't it pointless to spend the extra money on live sand? I thought it would basically become live during the cycle and the months after.

Well its all to personal preference of what you want :lol:

Well its not pointless because it will help you out to begin with.

albertthiel
I honestly don't think i could get any GOOD sand from any LFS tank... one near me is really clean, well set up, and feels like your walking into an aquarium you have to pay for.... but they normally don't do stuff like that. then there is another one that is the exact opposite, but would gladly give me sand. I don't go to the unclean, poorly managed one, so like i said I don't think I have that option. (I don't go there because I don't trust anything they sell...)

I have kinda looked into it.... I'm getting things like engineer gobies and whatnot so I can't have coarse sand or gravel...

If I'm getting live rock isn't it pointless to spend the extra money on live sand? I thought it would basically become live during the cycle and the months after.

Why don't you post what you think you would like to do and then others who read the thread can comment on it and give you suggestions. That may be an easier way to go.

On the live sand ... for that size tank you are going to need a lot of it and you may want to look for a store that is maybe further away but has what you would like.

On the rock ... if this is going to be a reef then get live rock shipped to you if you cannot buy it locally and you will IMO need about 150 to 180 pounds if you take the 2 to 1 rule.

If it is a FOWLR then you do IMO not need that much and 90 lbs would probably be enough ...

I think with more info about what your personal thoughts are it will be easier for readers to help you

Just my thoughts .. FWIW

Deleted User 3

live sand or dead sand?

what brand?

what color?

thanks in advance

I heard/read black sand gives off silicates, since you said above that you can't have coarse sand get a medium grain sand, just get dry/dead sand, cheaper, and then seed it with live rock, you can do some dead rock as well, but you should have live rock unless you want to use bottles of bacteria to help. Plus with live rock you get cool hitch hikers ! :)

darkwhitemagic
I heard/read black sand gives off silicates, since you said above that you can't have coarse sand get a medium grain sand, just get dry/dead sand, cheaper, and then seed it with live rock, you can do some dead rock as well, but you should have live rock unless you want to use bottles of bacteria to help. Plus with live rock you get cool hitch hikers ! :)

I'm gonna get live rock, always have, so that's why i was thinking dead sand makes more sense at that point. has anyone ever pulled off black sand in a larger tank?

Archived