ReefCleaners.org

Upgrading to a large reef!

the gzaa

I currently have a 14 gallon bio cube FOWLR. It's been running for about 5 years and I'm finally ready to get a bigger tank! I'm planning on having lps and sps as well. My question is this: should I go with the RSM 250 (pricey, but looks well worth it) or go with the 57 gallon edge? I love both tanks, but one is obviously less expensive than the other. Will post pictures of both later today.

What are your goals of the tank and what do you plan to keep?

Well, as mentioned above I would like to keep lps and some sps. I had an HQI for my biocube, but never got around to using it. I'd rather get a bigger tank. Also I plan on getting at least 4-5 fish. Maybe a pair of true percs, YWG/pistol shrimp pair, anthias and maybe an angelfish. I think I can keep them in either tank if I'm not mistaken.

Id never really say this normally because i always loved red sea tanks but nothing beats having an actual sump and that 57 gallon looks awesome! Plus alot cheaper so you can use the difference for more livestock/ hardware.

Id never really say this normally because i always loved red sea tanks but nothing beats having an actual sump and that 57 gallon looks awesome! Plus alot cheaper so you can use the difference for more livestock/ hardware.

Yea I get what you mean, but the RSM looks so nice! I was planning to add a sump with either tank...or would that be impossible in the RSM? Also, with the 57 I can buy my own light. Hmmm...

In addition, the RSM comes with 6 T5. Would this be sufficient to grow colorful sps or would it just do an okay job?

darkwhitemagic

my lfs has both sizes of the RSM, and they keep SPS, LPS, Softies, nems, so basically everything... I'm 80%

sure it was stock lighting on both tanks, if not, it looked like it was.

A 6 bulb T5 should be able to keep SPS. I would go with the 57 and go my own lighting route with a LED setup.

Replacing those 6 bulbs yearly is a $100+ expense.

A 6 bulb T5 should be able to keep SPS. I would go with the 57 and go my own lighting route with a LED setup.

Replacing those 6 bulbs yearly is a $100+ expense.

I get what you mean. I think I might go with the 57 and build it up from there...

thehobdenmarina
Yea I get what you mean, but the RSM looks so nice! I was planning to add a sump with either tank...or would that be impossible in the RSM? Also, with the 57 I can buy my own light. Hmmm...

In addition, the RSM comes with 6 T5. Would this be sufficient to grow colorful sps or would it just do an okay job?

No its totally possible, you just have to gut the stand, and brace the inside well. I have a buddy on canreef.com that did this with his rsm250 turned out great personally though I like the 57 better just the overall look is more clean and appealing IMO

Yea, I think I'm going with the 57. Also, DarkWhiteMagic just tobe clear the 57 gallon edge comes in black not white. Maybe you're referring to the RSM?

Archived