Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kenya Tree opinions

Mozimo

Thinking about getting a Kenya Tree from my LFS, they are selling small ones for $5 because of mass reproduction, I had one years ago and loved it! I've been hearing people say they are the plague and are a nuisance, just wondering why so and people's opinions

I got a small frag about a week ago and it is finally active. I think it took awhile to get used to my lighting. I began by gluing it to a rock since the base it was on was tiny and falling apart and it hated that. I removed the glue and it seems much more healthy. I wouldn't mind if it spreads I have always liked this coral and xenias and gsp. My three favorite corals can be considered "pest corals" lol.

I got a small frag about a week ago and it is finally active. I think it took awhile to get used to my lighting. I began by gluing it to a rock since the base it was on was tiny and falling apart and it hated that. I removed the glue and it seems much more healthy. I wouldn't mind if it spreads I have always liked this coral and xenias and gsp. My three favorite corals can be considered "pest corals" lol.

Cool, yah I think they look cool, and I'm not glueing any corals as I plan to get an anemone one day which will cause me to move corals around lol :D

It's a weed, don't do it

Yeah that's what I've been hearing from the experienced hobbyists, I had one for half a year a long time ago, never had problems with it reproducing

How about GSPs , they've got them for the same price, I've heard these will take over a tank also, but I've heard the opposite, just looking for a hardy softie, already got a spotted mush and hairy mush. Always wanted a gsp

Those will do the same thing as the kenya tree. look very cool as a mat growing on the bottom of the tank.

Lol yeah I'm reading they can take over a tank if you don't frag once a month, which isn't a problem for me, we will see what happens when I get to the LFS after work

I have all three of the notorious "weed" corals in my tank. And i like them. The xenia is the fastest spreading and most anoying. The the kenya isnt bad as long as you scoop out the branches it drops occasionaly. And i think all tanks need some GSP.

GSP I like, but maroon it on the sand or it will overtake your rocks.

If you trim and keep it on the sand, looks like a front lawn. Kenya tree isn't very attractive IMO either, much better choices out there.

Yeah my gsp is on a baseball sized rock seperate from the rock scape. And it has completely covered the rock and is now spreading across the sand. I want it to reach the front glass and start growing up the corner of the tank.

GSP I like, but maroon it on the sand or it will overtake your rocks.

If you trim and keep it on the sand, looks like a front lawn. Kenya tree isn't very attractive IMO either, much better choices out there.

Thanks for the tips, what would you recommend for a hardy coral that doesn't require very much maintenance? B)

Thanks for the tips, what would you recommend for a hardy coral that doesn't require very much maintenance? B)

All photosynthetic large polyp stony corals are pretty easy. And they are also the most extravagant looking group of corals IMO.

Archived