ReefCleaners.org

Walker's 35g - Home of the Great Zeo Experiment

Walker

I'm actually not so worried about the coral, but I'm concerned about the fish adapting to the current. We'll see in the next few days.

Fish can deal with strong currents. On the reefs the currents can be much stronger than what you have in your tank IMO

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corals seem to be happy so far.

All fish seem to be behaving ok, although staying out of the current for the most part. The tailspot seems to be perched and exhibiting fright/night colouration right now though - I think the increased flow messed up the established territories... or maybe it couldn't get comfortable in its old hidey-hole (which now has 3x the amount of flow). It's fading by the hour though, and it behaved exactly the same way when I first acclimated it to the tank. Hopefully it'll be fine in a day or two.

Corals seem to be happy so far.

All fish seem to be behaving ok, although staying out of the current for the most part. The tailspot seems to be perched and exhibiting fright/night colouration right now though - I think the increased flow messed up the established territories... or maybe it couldn't get comfortable in its old hidey-hole (which now has 3x the amount of flow). It's fading by the hour though, and it behaved exactly the same way when I first acclimated it to the tank. Hopefully it'll be fine in a day or two.

Yes IMO that is what will happen. They just need time to get used to the different flow and the possible change in territories that you mentioned

IMO all will be OK

I haven't seen the tailspot blenny today - last night was worrying, as just before lights out it looked absolutely terrified and sitting on the sand (which I've never seen it do). It did scurry into a rock once the lights went out, but I haven't seen it since. I hope it didn't go and die today :-/.

I haven't seen the tailspot blenny today - last night was worrying, as just before lights out it looked absolutely terrified and sitting on the sand (which I've never seen it do). It did scurry into a rock once the lights went out, but I haven't seen it since. I hope it didn't go and die today :-/.

When the lights go out a lot of fish will go to their hiding spots so you may not see him till tomorrow when there is light again

±

Tailspot blenny's been MIA for 2 days now, and now the chromis is acting terrified, cowering in a corner of the tank. I've switched back the flow to before (2 240s) and am hoping that it will calm down the chromis and maybe help the tailspot if it's still alive.

How many days do I wait and see before assuming the tailspot's truly gone?

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out... would the chromis be stressed because his swimming buddy is gone? Would the changes have triggered some sort of aggression from the clowns, and they picked on both newcomers? I haven't seen any evidence of torn fins or anything, but that doesn't really say all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I never did find the tailspot blenny :(.

Tailspot blenny, RIP :(. I never did find the body, but with the hermit crabs in the tank and how tiny he was, I think it was all gone in a day. No change in parameters either (0 ammonia, 0 nitrate), although the skimmer worked hard for about a day.

I waited another week to let the loss sink in. Eventually I decided to add a (larger) tailspot. This guy is probably close to full-grown, and seems to be a lot less skittish. Also, because he is bigger, there have been no problems with bullying with the yellowline goby. I will not make any large-scale changes to the tank for awhile so hopefully no stressors this time. I also noticed that the new guy doesn't keep his stress colouration as long as the little one - one can only hope!

DSC0010-L.jpg

I did notice that for some reason, the addition of the new blenny marked a resurgence in the activity level in the tank. The chromis is happier, the clowns are moving about more. Pretty weird.

I did move the chalice coral to a shaded location underneath the middle arch. It's growing well (added 1/4" of growth so far) but it's been losing its colour. The new growth has patches of the orangeish colour that it had before, but it's mostly white. I heard chalices like lower light, so suspect it's slowly bleaching. Hopefully the dark orange colour will return.

DSC0014-L.jpg

Otherwise, tank's working well, hermits are behaving, the SPS are growing fine. I think one of my hammers is splitting its biggest head, so that's great news as well. I have been seeing a few dozen tiny little stomatella and (I think) collonista snails on the rock and the glass. There were a few in the filter when I did my weekly water change as well. I was hoping for trochus or ceriths, but those work too :).

FTS:

DSC0009-L.jpg

I wonder if the tank is getting mature enough to be able to support the centrepiece I want - a Tridacna clam...

I bit the bullet and got a crocea clam, about 2.5". It was sulking for about a day and then started opening up fully. I've had it a week now and it looks quite happy. When I moved the chalice, it opened up an ideal space for the curve of a clam shell front and centre - it hasn't moved from the spot, and I can see that it has started attaching with its foot already.

DSC0008-2-L.jpg

It looks quite different from the top - has green highlights that look purple from the side.

DSC0009-L.jpg

Obligatory FTS:

DSC0012-L.jpg

My lights are probably on the low side for the clam (and the SPS) so I'll probably slowly start replacing the coralife bulbs with Giesemanns in a month or so. I'm also thinking of a refugium to house macros (probably chaeto) but I don't know if it will make enough of a difference, both nutrient export-wise and pod-wise. I already have a significant amount of pods (as evidenced by all the scurrying stuff on my LR when I shine a flashlight into the tank at night) . The only fuge I can put is a HOB, which is probably not enough volume to affect a 35g too much. I'm also worried I'm putting too much hanging off the back of the tank - I am not sure how structurally strong the tank is. In retrospect I think it would have been much easier to drill and use a sump, but that's for another day (maybe an upgrade in a few years).

I did goof up trying to remove a small patch of GHA (the only patch I've seen). I was using tweezers and I somehow managed to tear up the stupid clump instead of getting it out. There were filaments flying all over the tank. I think the filter got most of them, but I suspect I'll need to beef up my CUC in short order. Even with the hermits, it seems like they're sloooowly losing the algae battle. I want to get a turbo and a couple more trochus but I'm not sure if it might be overkill.

I bit the bullet and got a crocea clam, about 2.5". It was sulking for about a day and then started opening up fully. I've had it a week now and it looks quite happy. When I moved the chalice, it opened up an ideal space for the curve of a clam shell front and centre - it hasn't moved from the spot, and I can see that it has started attaching with its foot already.

My lights are probably on the low side for the clam (and the SPS) so I'll probably slowly start replacing the coralife bulbs with Giesemanns in a month or so. I'm also thinking of a refugium to house macros (probably chaeto) but I don't know if it will make enough of a difference, both nutrient export-wise and pod-wise. I already have a significant amount of pods (as evidenced by all the scurrying stuff on my LR when I shine a flashlight into the tank at night) . The only fuge I can put is a HOB, which is probably not enough volume to affect a 35g too much. I'm also worried I'm putting too much hanging off the back of the tank - I am not sure how structurally strong the tank is. In retrospect I think it would have been much easier to drill and use a sump, but that's for another day (maybe an upgrade in a few years).

I did goof up trying to remove a small patch of GHA (the only patch I've seen). I was using tweezers and I somehow managed to tear up the stupid clump instead of getting it out. There were filaments flying all over the tank. I think the filter got most of them, but I suspect I'll need to beef up my CUC in short order. Even with the hermits, it seems like they're sloooowly losing the algae battle. I want to get a turbo and a couple more trochus but I'm not sure if it might be overkill.

Nice, and on the GHA I guess that indeed between the filters and the CUC's they'll take care of it but I would watch your nutrient levels so the growth is kept in check and the CUC's can keep it under conrol . FWIW

Nice, and on the GHA I guess that indeed between the filters and the CUC's they'll take care of it but I would watch your nutrient levels so the growth is kept in check and the CUC's can keep it under conrol . FWIW

I'm suspecting that I need a phosphate test kit, and probably a magnesium/calcium one as well. Nitrates have been holding steady at 0. I think that overall I've been doing an ok job as there hasn't been any algae outbreaks - just the one spot of GHA about the size of a loonie (dollar coin) right dead centre of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

My chromis passed away, unfortunately, after a month of captivity. It seemed to be doing well but then suddenly started hiding Sunday. I was thinking that it was rather odd, but then by Monday morning it was dead. Another site (wetwebmedia) describes "chromis breakdown syndrome" which can take fish in a day. I thought I noticed a couple of red scratches Saturday but it disappeared by the time Sunday rolled around. It could also be infection from the scratches too (maybe a hermit took a swipe at it?).

All other fish are fine, and I added a small turbo to help the CUC with the GHA. The clam seems to be happy and fully extending, no coloration loss, but it's spitting out brown stuff twice a week or so, which I assume is clam poop (looks the same as the stuff my euphyllias spit out).

One paguristes hermit is now absolutely massive and has taken up residence in the largest empty shell I have. The shell is the size of a golf ball (probably an old turbo shell) and it fits nicely in it. I'm a bit concerned that it's gotten too big for the reef, but so far I haven't seen it pick on any fish or corals.

I'm suspecting that I need a phosphate test kit, and probably a magnesium/calcium one as well. Nitrates have been holding steady at 0. I think that overall I've been doing an ok job as there hasn't been any algae outbreaks - just the one spot of GHA about the size of a loonie (dollar coin) right dead centre of the tank.

Are your CUC's not taking care of it .. maybe you need to add some more or add different ones ... and yes having a PO4 test kit never hurts :-) ... I use the Salifert one that tests in the real low ranges.

All consideration for new additions now on hold - have to treat ich, I think. Hooboy, this is gonna be fun. I guess I was asking for it, considering I have a QT but didn't set it up. Damnit, now I'm worried I'll lose all my fish :(.

Fish are doing fine in a 10g QT. I am going to treat with hypo (already down to 1.018, bringing it down to 1.014 tomorrow, then 1.009 after). I had to take apart the rockwork to get all the fish, and I think I goofed on the salinity of my water change in the stress of the moment. DT is sitting at 1.022, which is a little low for the inverts. Corals are pissed off right now, especially since I kicked up a veritable storm of detritus. I'll let evaporation adjust it up a little and then do a midweek water change of normal s.g. water.

My fishy friends have been in hypo for a week and 3 out of 4 are doing fine. The tailspot is extremely stressed at the moment as the neon goby has taken to harassing it every time it pops out its head. My wife has added a few extra PVC elbows to "clutter up" the QT and give it more hiding spots. I dunno if this can continue for the rest of the fallow period (a long 6 weeks to go), but I'm hoping the blenny will put the goby in its place soon.

As well, I've been battling an algae bloom (someone said it looks like cyano) while the fish are in QT. It started before I took the fish out, and I suspect it was the Brightwell Zooplanktos I was trying out that week. The rescape probably didn't help matters. I also think my phosphates were something stupid high, but I never really did test. I have been running rowaphos GFO for the past week and the cyano is slowly but surely going away.

The reason why I think my phosphates were too high was because my millepora and green montiporas were brown. After just a week of GFO, the millepora is starting to lighten up and has sent up a few polyps' worth of growth. Even more tellingly, the bird of paradise SPS has started growing a LOT... probably on the order of 1-2mm of white growing tips.

Hope this is the turning point for my run of bad luck. Once the fish are declared ich-free (I peg the date as Dec 28, 5 weeks from now), they go back in the main tank after a week or two of raising salinity. It's a bit of a pain to keep doing twice-weekly water changes but I'll have to bear with it and hope the fish survive the next six weeks or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a long while, but I have started to raise the salinity of the QT (now at 1.013). Fish have been ich-free since the second day of treatment. Meanwhile, a month of no fish and GFO has effectively cleared out the cyano I've been fighting. Also, there are a lot more pods running around. I have added a few more SPS corals from a local reefer - green slimer, red monti cap, purple tricolor, red/pink millepora, and red planet. So far everything's been doing well. I've been looking back to my old photos and the green bird-of-paradise and birdsnest have been growing like crazy. The bird-of-paradise has added a good inch on each of its branches since September, and the birdsnest has easily doubled in size. I'll add pics when I can get the good camera again.

In light of this significant growth and the fact that I added another five SPS, I have started measuring calcium. I was at 380 Ca, which lines up with what I expected. I have started dosing B-Ionic 2-part to slowly bring it up to 420ish.

I am kinda annoyed at my crocea ever since I rescaped. It has loosened its byssal threads and has taken to flopping over on its side. However, it is anchored tightly enough that I can't just move it upright. It has also been generating a lot of mucus from its foot (I assume from trying to move).

• 2 weeks later...

The fish are finally back in after 6 weeks of treatment. They're still quite a bit skittish at being reintroduced. The tailspot blenny had the worst time of it, having tried to do a graceful escape from the transfer cup and falling face-first a meter onto the floor. Everyone seems fine, however, and I'll take pictures of them back in the DT in a few days once they're over reintroduction stress. All fish have grown quite a bit in QT.

That said, I should post a full-size FTS and few pictures of the new coral additions, as well as progress shots of the corals I've had for a while.

Meet the new corals! Apologies for the colour balance being off - my T5HOs cast an excessive amount of blues in photos.

Purple tricolor:

DSC_0152-L.jpg

Tiny Red Planet frag:

DSC_0155-L.jpg

Green slimer:

DSC_0156-L.jpg

Pink millepora:

DSC_0158-L.jpg

Red monti cap:

DSC_0159-L.jpg

I love this set of photos. I know it's not the most scientific for comparing growth and sizes, but it's just gratifying to see that I've been having some success at corals.

Before pictures are on the left, after on the right.

My first coral - a Sarcophyton, July vs. December. What you don't see is that the toadstool "head" is now two and bigger:

ToadstoolJulyDec-L.jpg

Another first timer coral, a duncan, July vs December:

DuncanAugDec-L.jpg

The other first time coral, a frogspawn, July vs December. It's not as striking a change as the other two, but you can't see that there are two heads instead of one now:

FrogspawnAugDec-L.jpg

Chalice coral, August vs December. Note that the coral has grown quite a bit bigger, but I think I roasted it when I changed lights. I've placed it under a rock overhang and it's just now starting to recover its color:

ChaliceAugDec-L.jpg

My first hammer coral, August vs December. Grown from 1 head to 3 now:

HammerAugDec-L.jpg

My second hammer coral, September vs December. It has added an additional head and is now much happier:

Hammer2AugDec-L.jpg

First SPS - green acro, September vs December. It used to have purple-shaded growing tips, but its lost that coloration. It's been encrusting nicely.

GreenAcroSepDec-L.jpg

The contemporary to the green acro - a sunset millepora, September vs December. It's browned out but grew quite a bit. It's now slowly losing its brown coloration and going back to light-coloured.

MilleporaSepDec-L.jpg

My fastest-growing SPS, a birdsnest, September vs December. It's supposed to be a green birdsnest but it has browned as well. Once I started using GFO it has started to lose its brown - one can only hope it becomes green...

BirdsnestSepDec-L.jpg

My nicest SPS, I think, a green bird of paradise, Sepember vs December. This has been a steady grower, especially once I started reducing phosphates.

BoPSepDec-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed a Vortech MP10 on my tank :). Seems like all the corals love it, and the fish are fairly happy as well. I'm surprised that there were people who complained that the MP10 is too loud - I have it set for 90% reefcrest and it's very quiet. You can definitely hear it once it goes over 70%, but it's a quiet sort of hum, not at all loud. My BH1000 skimmer is louder than that.

In any case, I like it and I wish I put it in my tank sooner!

I'm a little miffed at the foam guard - seems like it gathers detritus like a, well, sponge. I'll run it with the guard for now, but I think I'll take it off in a week or so.

So far, so good. Fish have been back for 2 weeks, they all look active and ich-free. Better yet, they've adapted well to the MP10 running at 80% reefcrest.

The yellowline goby resting after a wresting bout with the MP10 current:

DSC_0087-L.jpg

One of the clowns cruising up the glass:

DSC_0085-L.jpg

FTS.

DSC_0088-L.jpg

I don't quite like how the T5HOs wash out colours if I shoot directly from the side. I might start shooting more from the top so the camera is shielded from it:

DSC_0090-L.jpg

I found red bubble algae on my last piece of live rock (as opposed to the dry rock that comprises the rest of the rockscape). Rather than having to deal with scraping the bubble algae, I have elected to remove the rock. It took some doing (and some wire cutters) to remove the monti cap that had encrusted on top of it. I accidentally snapped it in two pieces and they are now residing in different places in the aquarium.

On another note, I have noticed that one of my original SPSes - what I figured to be a light green acropora with slightly purple tips - probably had a different colouration. One of my enterprising trochus snails knocked it loose from the rockwork, and I found that the bottom portion which does not receive direct light is actually a light purple (!). I've always had this acro high up as close to the light as possible. I am now experimenting with moving it down 8" or so closer to the bottom. Hopefully that will encourage some of the nicer purple colour.

I do find that my corals and fish have been a lot happier with the MP10 on reefcrest. The sunset milli has now shed most of its brown and is now a much lighter pink with yellow tips. It has also been growing more branches. All new additions are encrusting nicely, the green slimer especially. I suspect I'll have to trim it often in the future.

Lastly, I snapped off a small frag of the green (brown?) birdsnest and superglued it on the other side of the reef, lower in the rockwork. I have a theory that it was too high up on the rocks to begin with to achieve its green colour - this will be the test. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll have two nice colonies of birdsnest.

I'm conflicted on adding that elusive last fish in the tank. On one hand, I did have a chromis before. On the other hand, I've been warned off of chromis and would love to have an orchid dotty or a royal gramma, both of which might have aggression issues. The tank is rather peaceful right now (except the usual dominance displays between the clowns) and I don't really want to compromise that.

• 3 weeks later...

I had another mysterious fish disappearance a couple weeks ago - my yellowline goby just up and disappeared. I don't think he jumped as I don't see any dried carcasses around the aquarium. The best guess would be that he accidentally darted into the vortech and got pureed :( but I have no evidence of that. My CUC is fairly efficient and I can see them cleaning up the evidence within an hour.

I do have a royal gramma in quarantine right now, and it has been doing ok. It has been eating pellets and mysis the past week, although it has been turning up its nose at food today. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and it'll start eating again in the next few days.

The Vortech has otherwise been a Godsend and is very effective at keeping most food suspended. I have taken to turning off the filtration while feeding so the pump can drive the food particles around the aquarium over and over until everyone gets their fill. Then I turn on the filters and the tank is clear within minutes.

My large green/brown birdsnest is getting tissue necrosis around the tips, probably due to being directly blasted by a powerhead before I switched to the Vortech. I am hoping it will recover and I am keeping my hands off of it. I fragged it 2 weeks ago and hopefully one of the two colonies will make it. My frogspawn is also quite unhappy right now, as it couldn't adapt to being moved closer to the light. I have dropped it down to the aquarium floor and am hoping it will make a recovery.

The rest of the corals are doing nicely, especially the purple tricolor and green slimer. The duncan is doing especially well and it is starting to grow additional heads (finally!).

Archived