Cultivated Reef

Using electrical tape in tank?

Chrisl1976

I have a Hydor rotating head on both of my returns on my JBJ28 and one keeps getting pushed off. Its not as a snug fit as the other side. I an just considering putting a layer of electrical tape around the fitting to make it a snugger fit.

Anyone see a cause for alarm from the glue dissolving? If it is bad, would you have any other material that would work safer?

Nanofreak79

I don't use them anymore, but when idid I used a little super glue gel. You'll still be able to remove it if you use a few small dabs. I wouldnt use tape.

I would not put electrical tape in my tank.I don't think it would stay on evry long and the glue may start to leach into the water.

albertthiel
I have a Hydor rotating head on both of my returns on my JBJ28 and one keeps getting pushed off. Its not as a snug fit as the other side. I an just considering putting a layer of electrical tape around the fitting to make it a snugger fit.

Anyone see a cause for alarm from the glue dissolving? If it is bad, would you have any other material that would work safer?

Would not use electrical tape, use a little cyano but very little, the glue form works better than the liquid one FWIW

Would not use electrical tape, use a little cyano cyanoacrylate adhesive but very little, the glue gel form works better than the liquid one FWIW
Fixed that for you, wouldn't want anyone putting cyanobacteria on their return fittings. :D

TeflonTomDosh, with a name like yours I thought you'd recommend the Teflon tape solution. ;)

albertthiel
Fixed that for you, wouldn't want anyone putting cyanobacteria on their return fittings. :D

TeflonTomDosh, with a name like yours I thought you'd recommend the Teflon tape solution. ;)

Yes and thanks for fixing the abbreviations. Obviously I did not mean cyanobaceria :)

I have black tape on mine no ill effects..teflon tape would work too.

TheDrunkenClam

+1 for the super glue gel .... hasn't let me down thus far and I would just be paranoid about any form of tape coming loose over time. Having that peace of mind really helps you sleep at night ;)

Electrical tape was just the first thing that came to mind for adding a layer of thickness to the fitting so it slides into the return pipe a little snugger. But the drops of super glue should work just great.

I knew you guys would come up with a better option.

Thanks Everyone.........you can now continue on bashing the misuse of terminology

albertthiel
Electrical tape was just the first thing that came to mind for adding a layer of thickness to the fitting so it slides into the return pipe a little snugger. But the drops of super glue should work just great.

Thanks Everyone.........you can now continue on bashing the misuse of terminology

:)

HEAR,HEAR!!!!!! All in favor of continued bashing say i........... i . The i's have it!!!!!!!! Let the bashing continue.

:P :P

I personally would'nt risk creating a bond that's too strong with super glue gel. After a while my hydor flo would start getting too many deposits on the gears and jam up. I'd remove it and let it soak in a vinegar bath to make it good as new.

I used teflon tape and it worked great.

albertthiel
I personally would'nt risk creating a bond that's too strong with super glue gel. After a while my hydor flo would start getting too many deposits on the gears and jam up. I'd remove it and let it soak in a vinegar bath to make it good as new.

You do have a point especially if a lot of coralline algae grow in the tank and other deposits get in the way of creating a good strong flow

I would engineer a better design on CAD. Spend thousands on prototypes and molds. Find the correct fit and move on with my life.

What's this talk of bashing? :unsure:

I know what Albert meant. I wasn't bashing him for the use of cyano; however, I wasn't sure how many other people knew that reef safe superglue is made from cyanoacrylate. When I first saw "cyano", cyanobaceria popped into my head. I thought it was kind of funny. I meant no disrespect toward Albert.

I also fixed the gel reference (which most people probably got), but his point about it being best was a good one).

Actually I was never going to glue the two parts together. :D

I was assuming the original poster meant to put a few large drops on the fitting and let it dry as to create a thicker fitting.

Yes, I have already had a snail crawl in there and had to open it up which is pretty easy. For the $7 they cost me, if one goes bad in a year, I'm not too worries

I would engineer a better design on CAD. Spend thousands on prototypes and molds. Find the correct fit and move on with my life.

Steve,

I had a micro-pipe clamp design all drawn up and set my budget at $5000 for protoyping and manufacturing 1000 units, but the total price came in $5000.25 so my accountant told me in this economy, I could not afford a 25 cent loss. I put the project in the same file as my super dooper media basket to save for a better economy. .

TheDrunkenClam

Super glue gel will not create a strong enough bond to the point where you cannot undo it with a little force however it will be strong enough to help you accomplish what your doing ... assuming you use only a few drops and not the whole bottle.

Archived