SaltCritters.com

aquarium photography help?

lagunastudio

lagunastudio

Does anyone have any tips or advice on getting good aquarium photos? I have a Canon 7D with a EFS 18-135mm lens. I'm still learning about this camera and am far from mastering it. When I do a custom white balance using a photo I took of the aquarium with 'daylight' wb, all of my photos have an extreme yellow tint. But when I use daylight white balance everything is blue / purple and the colors do not stand out.

Custom White Balance

7-28-2012_fulltank.jpg

Daylight White Balance

7-28-2012_fulltank2.jpg

Any advice or ideas would be great, I've seen a lot of amazing photos on this forum.

lagunastudio

thanks, it's a yellow finger gorg. I got it about 2 weeks ago seems to be doing alright. I'm kind of paranoid about it because everyone claims they're very difficult to keep.

Use a color temp of 10K that will give you a pretty accurate representation and you can always tweak your colors from there.

Easiest way is to adjust white balance in post processing. Having a Flagship camera, there is no reason you shouldn't have a good PP software such as Adobe Lightroom.

Easiest way is to adjust white balance in post processing. Having a Flagship camera, there is no reason you shouldn't have a good PP software such as Adobe Lightroom.

Flagship? No. Prosumer at best. Flagship would be more along the lines of 1D X. Still, with shooting RAW, there are many programs that can process the image's white balance in post processing, including the one that Canon provided with the camera. Lightroom just makes organizing files and processing them much easier. I'm not sure how old you are, or if you are in school, but you can apply for student discounts on Adobe products. Lightroom is only $99 I believe with the discount. Just make sure your computer can handle Lightroom 4 before buying it. Many of my friends who upgraded from 3 found 4 to be much more resource intensive and either were forced to buy new computers to multitask, or had to use Lightroom 4 only if all other programs were closed.

Flagship? No. Prosumer at best. Flagship would be more along the lines of 1D X. Still, with shooting RAW, there are many programs that can process the image's white balance in post processing, including the one that Canon provided with the camera. Lightroom just makes organizing files and processing them much easier. I'm not sure how old you are, or if you are in school, but you can apply for student discounts on Adobe products. Lightroom is only $99 I believe with the discount. Just make sure your computer can handle Lightroom 4 before buying it. Many of my friends who upgraded from 3 found 4 to be much more resource intensive and either were forced to buy new computers to multitask, or had to use Lightroom 4 only if all other programs were closed.

The 7D is Canon's Flagship APS-C camera. Sure, it's no 1D x or 5D mk III but it's a long shot from what the average person should be using in my opinion. It is a semi-Pro camera. Anyone that goes as far to buy a Canon 7D should have no problem investing in a good Post-Processor.

While organization was what I loved most about Lightroom, I quickly found it superior for post processing than the Canon default program. I'm currently using LR3 and have a fairly high end quad core computer but on my old computer (dual core 2.2 ghz) image processing was a pain, if not a daunting task.

Archived