Cultivated Reef

Upgrade full spectrum setup, too much red?

alvaro

Hi Guys,

It was dificult but i just decided my setup, i need pimp up my latest aquastyle bought of 72 leds Kit because a big upgrade of my tank to 250g, with a new 108 kit, finally:

84 RB

24 NW4.5K

12 CW6.5k

12 CW10k (i know, its garbage but i have a couple At home)

12 CB

12 DR

12 C

12TV

12 Clusters:

Rb Nw Rb Tv C Rb Cw Rb

_Rb Cw Cb Dr Rb Nw Rb_

5 Drivers Meanwell LPF dimmables:

D1 36 RB

D2 36 RB

D3 12RB + 12CB + 12CW10K

D4 24NW4.5K + 12CW6.5K

D5 12DR + 12C + 12TV

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Hi ben,

The tank is 140x140x50... A big cube...

All NW? I suppose CW to NW but CB, C, DR, TV etc... ALL full spectrum to 2NW:3RB?

I was reading you a lot,

Thanks

jedimasterben
Hi ben,

The tank is 140x140x50... A big cube...

All NW? I suppose CW to NW but CB, C, DR, TV etc... ALL full spectrum to 2NW:3RB?

I was reading you a lot,

Thanks

Ok, so 55"x55"x20"

I'd go with something along the lines of:

50x NW

75x RB

12x CB

12x DR

12x C

12-18x V

That should net you a 12-14K look, and then fine-tune to suit your taste.

jedimasterben
With that big a setup, I would just go with a commercial fixture. Not worth the work to wire up 100+ leds.

depends on what you mean by worth it. most commercial fixtures are only good for a 24x24 area, op would need four. a full-spectrum commercial fixture (that wont even use violet or proper wavelengths of red and green) would run at least $500 apiece, so thats $2k in lighting, vs less than half that for diy. id say its worth it lol.

Oh. Right, forgot about the dimensions of OPs tank. I always find it interesting that people with big tanks use DIY when people with 5 and 10 gallon tanks use commercial fixtures.

Ok, so 55"x55"x20"

I'd go with something along the lines of:

50x NW

75x RB

12x CB

12x DR

12x C

12-18x V

That should net you a 12-14K look, and then fine-tune to suit your taste.

You'll probably have in true, but i think that i will take my original ratio because I have a lot 10k and 6.5k leds at home, and my ratio will be near 15-16k, with the adition of NW and RGB color up.

In this case, i would like to use the Driver3 (12RB + 12CB + 12CW10K) without lens, to rise up and rise down effect, and if it works, maybe as moonlight at minimum intensity...you think that it's a good idea? or the color ratio will be too much violet for this purpose...

Regards

jedimasterben
You'll probably have in true, but i think that i will take my original ratio because I have a lot 10k and 6.5k leds at home, and my ratio will be near 15-16k, with the adition of NW and RGB color up.

In this case, i would like to use the Driver3 (12RB + 12CB + 12CW10K) without lens, to rise up and rise down effect, and if it works, maybe as moonlight at minimum intensity...you think that it's a good idea? or the color ratio will be too much violet for this purpose...

Regards

I would recommend you not use the 6500k and 10000K chips you already have. Go through the Aquastyle Online thread we've got on NR and you'll see that most of the people that get the 10K or a mix thereof with cool white eventually are changing over to a 4500k base because they are either not happy with their color or their corals are losing color.

I've seen it myself with 6500k whites (from Aquastyle). Even moving slightly down to around 5000k has helped tremendously and improved coral coloration, even though I already had deep red, turquoise, and violet already on the tank.

And as far as moonlights go, I would ONLY do at most 4x white LEDs (these can be the 10K) dimmed down to a maximum of 100-150ma. Do not use blue LEDs as moonlights, blue is a much "brighter" color to fish and other inhabitants than white is, if that makes sense how I worded it.

Archived