ReefCleaners.org

Hydroids

Wizzy

Yes I hope so for you too. I would think that if you keep removing them you may eventually get them all although I cannot be sure

Good luck though and I hope you do

Albert

Thanks again :happy:

They just won't go away!

My zoanthids are barely open- I'm starting to worry.

----

I fragged off two single polyp frags and it's been one day so far.

The frags haven't opened but look healthy and there isn't any glue on them.

----

:unsure:

albertthiel
They just won't go away!

All I can suggest is keep picking them out each time you see some (especially at night when the lights are out)

If you keep doing that, and yes I know it is a lot of work, you should eventually be able to get rid of them

Apparently there is a Nudi that feeds on them but it is a poisonous one and not available in the hobby based on one of the reference I consulted.

Manual removal or a peppermint shrimp seems to be the only way to go and the shrimp approach is not guaranteed as if it finds enough other food it will not touch them

Albert

All I can suggest is keep picking them out each time you see some (especially at night when the lights are out)

If you keep doing that, and yes I know it is a lot of work, you should eventually be able to get rid of them

Apparently there is a Nudi that feeds on them but it is a poisonous one and not available in the hobby based on one of the reference I consulted.

Manual removal or a peppermint shrimp seems to be the only way to go and the shrimp approach is not guaranteed as if it finds enough other food it will not touch them

Albert

Thanks again Albert :happy:

Luckily my zoanthids are starting to open despite the small number of hydroids.

It is a lot of work, but I love my zoas lol.

albertthiel
Thanks again Albert :happy:

Luckily my zoanthids are starting to open despite the small number of hydroids.

It is a lot of work, but I love my zoas lol.

Yes I am sure you do and a lot of work it is but eventually you will get them out. Best of luck

R you making any progress ?

Well, almost all the zoanthids are open at this point.

However, I expect it to take a while to actually eliminate the hydroids.

For now, daily manual removal seems to be keeping them at bay.

Also, my two single polyp frags haven't opened which is disappointing.

One of them looks very good (despite not having opened), but the other one looks like it's melting.

I hope one of them survives.

If not, I guess I will just need to make larger polyp count frags.

:happy:

albertthiel
Well, almost all the zoanthids are open at this point.

However, I expect it to take a while to actually eliminate the hydroids.

For now, daily manual removal seems to be keeping them at bay.

Also, my two single polyp frags haven't opened which is disappointing.

One of them looks very good (despite not having opened), but the other one looks like it's melting.

I hope one of them survives.

If not, I guess I will just need to make larger polyp count frags.

:happy:

Yes getting rid of them all does take time but you are doing what is best by removing them every time you see them.

Sorry about the polyp, but sometimes they seem to do that, close up for a day or more and then suddenly all is OK. I have some that never seem to close and others that close and stay closed for well over 24 hours and then reopen, only to close again as soon as I do something in the tank.

My guess is that since you are removing those hydroids they do not like it and that could be the reason they are closed.

I would give it some time

Yes getting rid of them all does take time but you are doing what is best by removing them every time you see them.

Sorry about the polyp, but sometimes they seem to do that, close up for a day or more and then suddenly all is OK. I have some that never seem to close and others that close and stay closed for well over 24 hours and then reopen, only to close again as soon as I do something in the tank.

My guess is that since you are removing those hydroids they do not like it and that could be the reason they are closed.

I would give it some time

Thanks again Albert.

Here's a mini-update.

The main zoanthid colony is mostly unaffected by the hydroids and I have been doing manual removal of hydroids at night to reduce stress to the zoanthids.

One of the two polyp frags melted, but the other looks very healthy/large- it just hasn't opened yet.

albertthiel
Thanks again Albert.

Here's a mini-update.

The main zoanthid colony is mostly unaffected by the hydroids and I have been doing manual removal of hydroids at night to reduce stress to the zoanthids.

One of the two polyp frags melted, but the other looks very healthy/large- it just hasn't opened yet.

Sorry to read one of the polyp frags melted, but yes that happens and many not have anything to do with the hydroids but I can't be sure.

Glad the main colony is doing ok. Hopefully the second frag will open

In fact in my tank where there are no hydroids, my zoas are closed and have been for most of the day for some reason and that is after I did a water change yesterday. maybe it's just due to a slight variation in the water parameters.

Hopefully you'll get those hydroids out and get your issue resolved

Albert

Sorry to read one of the polyp frags melted, but yes that happens and many not have anything to do with the hydroids but I can't be sure.

Glad the main colony is doing ok. Hopefully the second frag will open

In fact in my tank where there are no hydroids, my zoas are closed and have been for most of the day for some reason and that is after I did a water change yesterday. maybe it's just due to a slight variation in the water parameters.

Hopefully you'll get those hydroids out and get your issue resolved

Albert

Thanks again :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update and thank everyone for their help.

So, I still have hydroids, but the zoanthids seem like they're impervious to them now.

They never close up or get irritated even with hydroids around them.

I'm happy now lol and hopefully they will go away eventually, but I'm not worried anymore.

Oh and to top it all off, one of the two single polyps frags is open and happy.

Happy Ending :D

Deleted User 3

I have hydroids too, a few and then suddenly all sorts... ugh. But they dont touch anything, were touching the lil monti frag I had and it didn't like it so I moved it. No issues now!

Archived