Top Shelf Aquatics

galaxy and hydnophora in a nano?

Ballard

call me stupid, call me crazy, but I fell in love with a galaxy frag and a hynophora frag at my uber-awesome LFS (Coral Beauty) anyhow... bought them both now I am worried that I should have been more careful.

I have a 10G standard Glass, with an in-tank refugium (about 1.5 gallons)

softies- small kenya tree, tiny kenya tree, anthelia (hitchiker) small capnella, micro silk coral

other- single zooanthid polyp, med. button polyps, small galaxy (5 heads), small hydnophora, pink fingery thing (was lying in the sand, broken off larger in LFS, attathed quickly in tank)

divemasterdave

I have the galaxia too, and all I can say is that it likes a low flow. If you have room to put it 4" away from other coral so it won't sting'em. At night, and sometimes in the daytime they extend long feeding tenticals to feel out thier space, and sometimes sting. I have had no trouble from it, but I put it near the shrooms cuz they can handle it better if they take a sting.

I don't have much low flow area that has good light. is good light a high priority too? I only have a 32 watt smartlite.

digitallinx

be a litttle careful with the hydno...i have one near the top of the tank, then oneday my turbo played bulldozer, knock it over onto to the rics below...next thing i saw was a pile of goo, the hydno destroyed one of my rics within minutes...DANGEROUS!

Undertheradar

yes, hydno has very nasty stinging capabilities. I had the opportunity recently to buy some frags of it in the green variety, but passed and took green pavona instead...a very similar coral, a little better looking, and no stinging action.

Are you guys sure that galaxea like low flow? Mine seems to do better when under high flow.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived