Top Shelf Aquatics

water change routine and storage/mixing advice..

Rhymon78

Hey,

New to Saltwater, have a 30l microhabitat that is second hand, came with live rock anemone and clowns.

I got it off of a dude that works in a marine store, and he has suggested buying the saltwater pre-mixed, and doing water changes every week. This is fine, I don't mind water changing weekly, but when I got the big barrel of pre mixed saltwater, he tells me I need to keep it oxygenated with an air stone of pump/power head. So now I got to have that running constantly in my pre-mix. Haven't done this yet, as I am so limited for space in my house and don't have power outlets near where I can store the water.

So Im wondering if it is better to just buy the RO/DI water and mix myself, I understand I would still need a power head and a heater for the mixing, but at least I would only need to have the powerhead and heater running for 24/hrs during the mixing rather than having the pump running constantly in my stored pre mix from the store. This really isn't a great option for me, do-able but not ideal.

On a 30l all in one, minus the filter/skimmer/heater compartment at the rear, and the displacement of the live rock I wonder what the actual litre-age is? so I am also wondering if mixing myself such a small quantity is going to work? as if I use a bucket to mix in I would need enough water in there to cover the heater..... oh what a conundrum....lol

Any hints, help or advice would be MUCHLY appreciated! I am yet to do my first water change, I have pre mix, but its not heated or being pumped in the container. its just sitting in the sealed container.

Thanks in advance

peace.

Run an airstone or power head just long enough oxygenate water right before changing. I usually store salted water fr over a week and just throw a power head in the night before a wc and while in at work the next day. Should be good to go at that point and won't be in your way while your sleeping or out of the house.

Run an airstone or power head just long enough oxygenate water right before changing. I usually store salted water fr over a week and just throw a power head in the night before a wc and while in at work the next day. Should be good to go at that point and won't be in your way while your sleeping or out of the house.

So do you also add a heater while your running the powerhead the day before a change? to get the water up to temp? does this fluctuation in temp affect the quality of the salt mix?

cheers for the response also!

thanks.

Angel<3Nanos

Adding a heater should be good, since it won't spike your temp on the DT.

But be careful with the heater if your water is stored on a plastic container, you don't want it to touch the container and melt it lol

Yes. Some people will tell you a heAter isn't necessary but why wouldnt you want to use one? I still dot understand that.

+1 on the heater and plastic bucket. The bottom of my bucket is all warped and distorted. I'm waiting for it to just break while filled with water. Lol.

I used to buy my pre mixed water the day before and I would toss a heater in it a hour or 2 before the WC to bring it up to temp.

As long as the water doesn't sit for more then a day you shouldn't need a air stone/pump but just make sure to stir it up before hand. If it has a screw on cap take a little bit of water out so their is air in the top of the container and shake it up a few times.

If the water is going to set longer then 12-16 hours get a stone or pump.

thegambler26
Yes. Some people will tell you a heAter isn't necessary but why wouldnt you want to use one? I still dot understand that.

+1 on the heater and plastic bucket. The bottom of my bucket is all warped and distorted. I'm waiting for it to just break while filled with water. Lol.

I think it depends on where you store you're water if you need a heater or not. My waters stored in my house which is usually around 78 or so in the summer. So in the summer not needed but winter for sure.

Use a heater if you want, but depending one the pump, it may not be be necessary. If you're using a 4w pump on 1g of water, it will heat it enough not to cause a spike. Best to test the temp to see if you need a heater though.

I would not buy water from my LFS. Just buy RO/DI or make your own and mix.

Archived