ReefCleaners.org

Is biological filtration needed for a QT tank?

jball1125

When I used to keep discus, I would quarantine any new arrivals for up to a month in a tank with nothing but clean heated water and an air stone. In order to reduce nitrates I would simply do daily water changes. Would this also be possible with SW fish (clowns)? If possible than how much water would you recommend changing?

Amphiprion1
When I used to keep discus, I would quarantine any new arrivals for up to a month in a tank with nothing but clean heated water and an air stone. In order to reduce nitrates I would simply do daily water changes. Would this also be possible with SW fish (clowns)? If possible than how much water would you recommend changing?

Possible, but more expensive and labor intensive. Amounts changed and frequency would depend upon parameters. Last time I quarantined (haven't had new fish for a long time), I went for weekly water changes. The tank did have a filter with established media, though. I also kept ammonia-neutralizing additives handy just in case of an emergency.

Possible, but more expensive and labor intensive. Amounts changed and frequency would depend upon parameters. Last time I quarantined (haven't had new fish for a long time), I went for weekly water changes. The tank did have a filter with established media, though. I also kept ammonia-neutralizing additives handy just in case of an emergency.

Gotcha, thanks for your input.

Archived