Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquaponics and Solar Power

jm82792

Electrical outages suck. I have personally cleaned up partially decomposed fish, about 100 pound worth and almost lost my lucnh about 10 times. Plus all the people living near the gulch kept asking what the terrible smell was. Furthermore, having something unplugged is an equally aggravating issue. Solar is tempting, it's far better then running a 100 foot cord. But all the pumps I see are seemingly junky, the GPH is poor and overall it seems like a PITA.

Does anybody have any pump brand suggestions or any experience with this kind of stuff?

I'm looking for a recirculation pump that will do about 150-200 GPH at 3 feet of head height. I'm also looking for an airpump, I don't see many and I need to double check what I need, but something similar to the luft pumps by coralife.

disaster999

im confused as to what you are asking

you want to know what pumps will give out 200gph at 3 feet that doesnt suck and an airpump thats similar to the luft pumps?

or are you asking what pump and airpump works with solor power?

Is it all right for me to post a thread from Reefkeeping magazine online? There was a tank of the month article from reef central that used solar tubes to light the aquarium.

As for solar power, just get a few small solar panels that can generate power to charge a battery. The battery should be compatible with whatever pump you are using.

EDIT: Oh, you want a pump that has a direct solar panel hookup? That you can run on ambient light?

disaster999

if that is the case, then i dont think you have to worry about finding a pump but worry about finding the right solor panel that will work with your application.

The system will use a charge controller, and a deepcycle battery as the pumps have to be constantly on. Thankfully from what I've found Shurflo makes a lot of nice, affordable, and 2-3 year warrantied water pumps that should work for me. However, I am rather stumped on the airpump, I'd like to find one that preforms like a Coralife luft pump but on 12vdc.

disaster999

ah, that made a lot more sense...cant you run an converter that turns 12V to 120VAC? there will me some loss there but at least you will have an airpump

Most motors dislike a square wave, so you need a sinewave inverter($150 plus) although perhaps airpumps will tolerate it.

Archived