Cultivated Reef

Shrimp in pods bag?

Sub

Is it reef safe? Anyone else get one of these? I ordered three bags of pods, and two of them had clear shrimp in them. The look a bit like ghost shrimp. They've colored up a bit to grey and splotchy..

I'm waiting for a reply from John, but has anyone else got one of these? What did you do with it? reef safe? Are they safe with other ornamental shrimp like pederson, spotted cleaners and sexy dancers?!

altolamprologus
hmm not mysid. more developed than that. looks a lot like a cleaner/anenome shrimp.

Can you get a picture?

johnmaloney

They are "common shore shrimp", and they do tend to become food in more peaceful tanks they will be harmless cleaners. Smart too, they will learn you mean food, and lose their fear of you faster than most fish, if the fish aren't eating them at least. Good for refugiums.

ok cool. I stuck them in my QT tank for now to see what they were like. I think I have two different kinds. One has a body very similar to my pederson cleaner. The other looks more like the common shore shrimp..

shrshrm.jpg

John, are they just sort of in your pod culture tanks?! :) I read they eat pods, so I'm a bit hesitant to put them in my fuge..

johnmaloney

THey are, I have some mysids too. You may have gotten one of the mysids. There are also daggerblade shrimp, they look like small blades of seagrass, very flat and pointy, but they are shrimp. Members of that family as well, it isn't one species. We had them as a separate item once, but combined them because it was popular to do so at the time at least.

If you want a peaceful pods community you have to setup a culture tank and choose one species. Otherwise Gammarinds will eat Tisbe, Capprellids as well etc.. We have only had problems with gammarind amphipods depleting our culture, to the extent the shrimp do is minimal or below what they reproduce. If we had larger pods that may be different though, we have had tiny harpacticoid copepods since the gammarinds were removed. They have a higher nutritional profile than gammarinds and are a preferable food source for mandarins so we went that route instead.

Archived