Pod Your Reef

Your Perfect AIO Nano

Spencer7

Me and some coworkers are designing a AIO nano (under 20g) for retail

Your budget is $1000

No DIY junk, tell us dimensions, glass type, filtration (sump, skimmer, canister, etc.)

Lighting and any other substantial features or equipment

Keep it general and simple, your responses are our number one reference so please be considerate and serious.

THANK YOU! :D

Umm lets see, only one? 20 gallon total or DT volume?

24 x 18 x 12 Starphire rimless

ExTernal overflow

Comes with mesh top but it has clear edges so it keeps the clean look

Your choice of skimmer ( Tunze 9002, Hydor Slim Skim Nano, or Aquaticlife 115 )

Media basket

Reactor area for either carbon, biopellets, or GFO

fuge area w/ LED light

and then a fancy LED light for the DT

- comes with heater

What did I miss?

Looselyhuman
Comes with mesh top but it has clear edges so it keeps the clean look

This.

Edit: Even better, this clear edge mesh top has some clever inlay into the rim so that it's not hanging over in front of the outer glass.

if you could somehow build the fuge light and heater and skimmer into the sump and have it all use the same power cord that would be pretty sweet. I hate cords.

Islandoftiki

How about a modern looking LED lighting fixture that doesn't make you wish it were on your sump.

Some look like a cross between a computer CPU fan and a cereal box. Many don't include any sort of decent hanging fixture.

Too many just look DIY.

Deleted User 4

If you could design a 1/2" starphire glass tank with perfect alignment on clear or black thick silicone on all four sides with the tank dimensions of 18" Length x 17" Width x 14" of Height. And as for the filtration part, go with a sump/skimmer just like the elos mini's setup. Everything high quality and as usual, perfect, unobtrusive craftsmanship. Remember the back of tank needs to be glass with no sort of filtration installed inside the tank...for a clean look and an easy access of scrubbing the back in cases of coraline, algae growth on the back glass.

If you could design a 1/2" starphire glass tank with perfect alignment on clear or black thick silicone on all four sides with the tank dimensions of 18" Length x 17" Width x 14" of Height. And as for the filtration part, go with a sump/skimmer just like the elos mini's setup. Everything high quality and as usual, perfect, unobtrusive craftsmanship. Remember the back of tank needs to be glass with no sort of filtration installed inside the tank...for a clean look and an easy access of scrubbing the back in cases of coraline, algae growth on the back glass.

Glass to thick costs to much.

Deleted User 4
just make some faux elos's. :P

Just make a better elos. One that is not cubed with an elegant looking lid cover.

I'd go with a 24 long 18 wide 12 tall starphire glass. I guess since you want an AIO, I'd say skip the media basket. Just direct all water through some filter floss, Make a dedicated media reactor chamber, and a dedicated skimmer chamber. Little refugiums in the chambers do little to nothing. I wouldn't add lights to the aquarium. It would just add costs and people will use their own lights anyways. Build a nice stand for it with an intergrated Programable power strip.

Deleted User 4
I'd go with a 24 long 18 wide 12 tall starphire glass. I guess since you want an AIO, I'd say skip the media basket. Just direct all water through some filter floss, Make a dedicated media reactor chamber, and a dedicated skimmer chamber. Little refugiums in the chambers do little to nothing. I wouldn't add lights to the aquarium. It would just add costs and people will use their own lights anyways. Build a nice stand for it with an intergrated Programable power strip.

Hey mitch, how's the picO tank processing on shipment details?

This is what I got so far...

One of these for demensions (LxWxH)

24x18x12

18x17x14

20x12x16

Starphire Glass under 1/2" possibly with mesh top

Small sump with multiple chambers for floss, carbon, etc. Skimmer area and possibly fuge

As far as look, picture a ecoxotic setup where a 3"-4" canopy, tank, and stand are all conjoined in one solid seam. One draw with a labeled electronic motherboard w/timer (one cord output), and a bottom cainet with the sump, I don't think there will be an A.T.O but there will be a skimmer spot.

Don't worry about lighting, I will be making the fixture myself and it will have 10-15 LED's with two control channels and a fan, It will look amazing, trust me. It's the sump that will be very tricky. Connect the panorama fixture to the tank (will be ablt to turn of lights and flip open) than be able to choose at least white or black. Clean and modern with everything you need all for a reasonable price. Well under 2k for sure

images-3.jpg

IF WE FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THIS EXPECT A PROTOTYPE BEFORE 2013, keep in mind were still on the drawing board.

Go with a Maxspect razor on the 24 x 18 x 12. I have a 20 inch long planted tank, not enough length. A 18 would look nice, and it could use a kessil.

Were not trying to build a personal tank, and mismatching expensive equiptment. The razor however is a good example of what were going for on lighting.

I'm trying my best to keep it cheap, the fact that I get whole sale prices will help a bit plus built local

To get me to spend $1000 on a sub-20g tank I would except a lot of goodies. For example, nice stand that is sturdy and function, yet looks furniture quality. Quality sump of whatever material you could get the cheapest. A Cool Sump design would be something square looking with 4 containers. Water flows clockwise around the sump, so first section could be the filter sock and plenty of room for a heater, probes, etc, second chamber would be for a skimmer, 3rd would be left empy for those to choose between refugium and media. 4th is obv return.

The tank itself need to be StarFire Glass with a nice looking overflow kit and return kit. All plumbing is well hidden in the thank.

To get people to buy it, you would want return pump and skimmer included. Heater should be included. Lights MUST be included.

You get that done for 1K and I think you will get a whole hell of a lot of business.

To get me to spend $1000 on a sub-20g tank I would except a lot of goodies. For example, nice stand that is sturdy and function, yet looks furniture quality. Quality sump of whatever material you could get the cheapest. A Cool Sump design would be something square looking with 4 containers. Water flows clockwise around the sump, so first section could be the filter sock and plenty of room for a heater, probes, etc, second chamber would be for a skimmer, 3rd would be left empy for those to choose between refugium and media. 4th is obv return.

The tank itself need to be StarFire Glass with a nice looking overflow kit and return kit. All plumbing is well hidden in the thank.

To get people to buy it, you would want return pump and skimmer included. Heater should be included. Lights MUST be included.

You get that done for 1K and I think you will get a whole hell of a lot of business.

The real places I think you can safe money are the sump (doesn't have to be fancy - just complete), the Stand, if you do it right), and the Skimmer. The things that would have to spend the most money on at the Tank itself and StarFire or its not going to be distinguishable from the other brands that will be outselling you anyway. You can get bonus points for a nice looking stand.

Don't skimp on lights because then you will outprice people that will want to buy new lights anyway. Don't get crazy with the light either. There are plenty of LED OEM options out there that you could use with your brand name.

$1000 just isn't enough! Well I guess I could never have enough money for a setup. As for dream setup "on a budget" I would go with...

Innovative Marine - 16 gallon w/ stand - $400

MP10w- $280

Kessil 150w - $250

JBJ Nano Fuge Light - $50

Heater - $30

All maxed out and haven't even got to the good stuff!!!

aquemeni5110

Don't know if this would up the cost but it would be nice if there were a few choices for the LED color combinations. Either more CB/RB or more CW LEDs. I remember nanocustoms having these options on their PC retrofit kits. Of course if you can squeeze more money for the lights, just have the blues and whites on separate dimmable drivers with adjustment knobs??

Great ideas everyone good luck on this project.

Archived