inTank Media Baskets

90 or 60 degree optics

baldbean

Hello.

I am in the process of ordering a new set of LEDs, but am unsure of the optics to get on them. My tank is a 24 gallon 18x18x18 inch cube. Some of the light details are below:

• 120 W
  • 55x3 (55 - 3Watt LEDs)
  • (3) Color LED; 12,000K white, 460nm Blue, 440nm Dark Blue

It will be one of those hangable rectangle fixtures with LEDs in multiple rows. I'm just not sure about the optics. So like the title says, 60 or 90 degrees? Or is there a better option? My current LEDs spill light all over the room.

Thanks!

Drunken Master

60* optics would probably be best. If it was me I would do 80* and 60* with the 80* optics in the middle and the 60* optics around them. But that depends on how your led layout is.

TheDrunkenClam

60 degrees should give you a tight focus of light at 18'' deep while minimizing any light bleed in your room i would think. Don't listen to me though I'm a metal halide fanatic B)

Put them in a DIY canopy.

The tighter the optics, the less light coverage overall, more "disco" because of poor color blending and ya have to hang them higher to get even coverage.

A DIY canopy solves that issue

just my opinion

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was leaning towards 90 at first, but was not sure that would be smart. 60 sounds good though and I may go with that, but i will ask if i can mix angles to see if the 60/80 would be possible. I have seen a DIY canope with on youtube and it looks really nice, but I would like to keep the rimless look. I should have mentioned that above.

I have also been looking for LEDs with different optic angles on the web, but am coming up short with examples.

tomgndallas
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was leaning towards 90 at first, but was not sure that would be smart. 60 sounds good though and I may go with that, but i will ask if i can mix angles to see if the 60/80 would be possible. I have seen a DIY canope with on youtube and it looks really nice, but I would like to keep the rimless look. I should have mentioned that above.

I have also been looking for LEDs with different optic angles on the web, but am coming up short with examples.

90 all day! 60 will work but you want that light to fill the tank and mix well. 60 will be very strong and focused. i have been doing extenive testing on all types, if you were running a deeper tank i would reccomend 60.

Archived