inTank Media Baskets

Cloudy Water Week+

Daleo

I've had a cloudy water issue for the past week. At first, the tank got moderately cloudy for two days. I figured it was a bacterial bloom. A couple days later, even more cloudy. At this point, I couldn't even see my rockwork. Again, I figured it was part of the bloom. Now a week or more into cloudy water, it hasn't cleared.

I did have a welsophyllia die in the tank the week before. Removed the skeleton before it polluted the whole tank.

I started using Kent Pro-clear for marine a few days ago with no success. A 50% water change helped but still moderately cloudy.

Tank has been running for 4 months

Specs

75g display

29g sump

Light biological load

filter floss in the sump

chaeto in the sump

Nitrate:0

Nitrite:0

Ammonia:0

I'm not a beginner. Actually 4 years or so into the hobby, but I feel this is somewhat a beginner problem.

what corals do you have? possibly chemical warfare? maybe the Welso released something before it kicked the bucket and not the other softies are fighting back? try running some carbon.

Haven't thought about those factors.

Other corals:

Xenia

Frogspawn

Kenya tree

Gsp

Toadstool

Any other opinions?

Well, I'm pretty sure I know what part of the issue is. When I reached into the tank for the wellsophyllia, it was normal, today I went in to fix some rocks, and the tank temp spiked up to 85 degrees!!! Heater malfunction.

Can't really tell because it is so cloudy, but I think I'm already having some die-off. Second time this has happened in the past 2 years... :/

... or get a UV.

Wish I would've known this earlier. Would've picked one up just to keep the other half from griping all week.

well that sucks, what kind of heater was it? im soo paranoid about this i change my heater every year.. even if its working like a champ or not...

Well, I'm pretty sure I know what part of the issue is. When I reached into the tank for the wellsophyllia, it was normal, today I went in to fix some rocks, and the tank temp spiked up to 85 degrees!!! Heater malfunction.

Can't really tell because it is so cloudy, but I think I'm already having some die-off. Second time this has happened in the past 2 years... :/

Wish I would've known this earlier. Would've picked one up just to keep the other half from griping all week.

Looks like it's time to invest in a controller.

Nothing I would love more than a controller, but I can't really afford it ATM.

It was a tetra brand adjustable, which is funny because I've used their cheap preset ones for years with no problem.

Archived