inTank Media Baskets

High salinity overnight

Jordangil

Well I woke up this morning to the sound of my return pump on my biocube spitting bubbles due to low water . I turned everything off and checked my salinity it was like 1.028 ish . I am guessing it is because I left my ceiling fan on last night and the heat in the room . My question is since it wasn't something rapid like a bad job mixing salt that it shocked the coral how should I go about lowering the salt with fresh ro/di water ? Just put enough water so the pump doesn't sputter and then add a little water every 30 minutes ? I am hoping it won't have any ill effects on the coral because it was a gradual change .

TeflonTomDosh
Well I woke up this morning to the sound of my return pump on my biocube spitting bubbles due to low water . I turned everything off and checked my salinity it was like 1.028 ish . I am guessing it is because I left my ceiling fan on last night and the heat in the room . My question is since it wasn't something rapid like a bad job mixing salt that it shocked the coral how should I go about lowering the salt with fresh ro/di water ? Just put enough water so the pump doesn't sputter and then add a little water every 30 minutes ? I am hoping it won't have any ill effects on the coral because it was a gradual change .

Just add like a couple cups, then test the salinity. Repeat process until it's where you want it to be.

Just add like a couple cups, then test the salinity. Repeat process until it's where you want it to be.

+1 you should be fine.

Amphiprion1

What size is the tank? If there is enough surface area and the volume is sufficiently small, then it is possible.

If you keep your system at about 1.026 or so, I don't see a need to be as careful as you suggest. You can proceed that way, of course, but I don't think it's entirely necessary. If you have organisms that you have observed having negative effects to a slight change in salinity, then obviously you'd want to be careful about it.

Edit: nm, plenty of others posted the same. I take way too long sometimes.

I read that it causes coral to melt away. Is that long term or in general? My candy canes don't look the best you , my salinity is around 1.026 right now

I read that it causes coral to melt away. Is that long term or in general? My candy canes don't look the best you , my salinity is around 1.026 right now

I've been having the same problem. I added fresh ro/di water to compensate for the evaporation. Did not gradually add. If this has anything to do with coral melting away, I'm thinking that I had better do it 'gradually', because I've seen a number of my corals melting away. Yikes!

Archived