SaltCritters.com

How Many LED's?

lemonyx

So I think I have the total LED count down now and just need the LED Guru's to verify.

The tank is currently 48'lx36"wx24"h shallow sand bed about 3", SPS, some LPS several clams and a recordia garden and several rbta's and gbta's, so for LED's @ 3w:

30 Cree Premium Cool Whites, XP-G,

60 Cree Prem Royal Blues XT-E,

12 Cree Prem Blue XP-e

12 Cree Prem Red XP-E

Heat sinks will be 2x 18"lx8"w and fans if needed

drivers, Meanwell ELN-60-48P about 9 of them

and for Optic's the Carclo Ripple Wide?

tia

jedimasterben
So I think I have the total LED count down now and just need the LED Guru's to verify.

The tank is currently 48'lx36"wx24"h shallow sand bed about 3", SPS, some LPS several clams and a recordia garden and several rbta's and gbta's, so for LED's @ 3w:

30 Cree Premium Cool Whites, XP-G,

60 Cree Prem Royal Blues XT-E,

12 Cree Prem Blue XP-e

12 Cree Prem Red XP-E

Heat sinks will be 2x 18"lx8"w and fans if needed

drivers, Meanwell ELN-60-48P about 9 of them

and for Optic's the Carclo Ripple Wide?

tia

Why do you want cool whites, especially 1:2 ratio to RB? That's gonna be wicked blue and missing some spectrum. Swap them for neutral white in the same ratio, and you should be able to get away with 24x NW and 48x RB. I'd do the 12x blue, but skip the red, Cree reds are 630nm, you should look for some that are 660nm, and also some cyan around 490-510nm. You can get them all in Luxeon Rebels in the proper wavelengths, and they will actually come out to much cheaper than the Cree colors. Also add in just as many violets and you'll have a hell of a setup, covering all the spectrum we know to use at the moment for the best growth and coloration.

if he switches to neutral would he still need the red 660's and the cyan/violets still?

I thought the point of running neutral whites compared to cool whites is to alleviate the need for supplementation?

jedimasterben
if he switches to neutral would he still need the red 660's and the cyan/violets still?

I thought the point of running neutral whites compared to cool whites is to alleviate the need for supplementation?

neutrals dont add THAT much red into the equation, and they do not add any violet. full spectrum tanks with neutral whites still look tons better than full spectrum tanks with cool white, after having used both and compared tons of pictures from others.

+1 on not useing 630nm reds

++1 on true violets

+1 on cyans

+1 on deep red 660nm

--1 on useing nw, if you have deep red you don't need them and they mostly only add more yellow,orange, an 620 red, that feeds cyno (red slime) every one on here is gonna burn me on that but I have had a ton of people come into my store with cyno with low n03 and phosphate but with ether a led set up with 630nm reds or neutral whites.

jedimasterben
+1 on not useing 630nm reds

++1 on true violets

+1 on cyans

+1 on deep red 660nm

--1 on useing nw, if you have deep red you don't need them and they mostly only add more yellow,orange, an 620 red, that feeds cyno (red slime) every one on here is gonna burn me on that but I have had a ton of people come into my store with cyno with low n03 and phosphate but with ether a led set up with 630nm reds or neutral whites.

I can say that since moving to a NW-based setup, I have had 0 problems with algae that I didn't have before (and I use the word 'problem' loosely). Keep nutrient levels low and you won't have algae problems, unless your lighting is far too intense for your tank (as in the case where a tank gets some natural sunlight from a window). NW has so many benefits when it comes to overall look and coloration, and plus, NW adds little more into yellow and orange, but our eyes see those spectrums first, that's why it looks so different, and why we use more RB to balance out the color temperature to taste.

NW LEDs do not cause cyanobacteria. That's reaching a bit far, IMO.

jedimasterben

thanks for the help- now I'm confused as the cool whites where the ones that all the Led sites (sponsor's) recommended that were in their diy kits.

Ok now I'll start looking for the NW to RB in a 2:1 and some of the deep red 660nm

You can get them all in Luxeon Rebels in the proper wavelengths, and they will actually come out to much cheaper than the Cree colors. Got any suggestions on these, always up on saving some hard earned cash

jedimasterben
jedimasterben

thanks for the help- now I'm confused as the cool whites where the ones that all the Led sites (sponsor's) recommended that were in their diy kits.

Ok now I'll start looking for the NW to RB in a 2:1 and some of the deep red 660nm

You can get them all in Luxeon Rebels in the proper wavelengths, and they will actually come out to much cheaper than the Cree colors. Got any suggestions on these, always up on saving some hard earned cash

www.stevesleds.com

The NW and RB Rebels are all $3 apiece, and have as much or more output than the Cree you are looking at, and the colored LEDs are $3.50 each (the Cree colors usually run $4.50-5.50), and soon (next two weeks) you'll be able to get all of those on 3up stars for the same price as the single LEDs. 3ups are preferred as the colors mix together so much better that way, sometimes completely eliminating "disco" on your sandbed.

Archived