Pod Your Reef

Phosguard question

bucfan

AZDesertRat

DO NOT use Phosguard.

It is an aluminum based product and releases the stored up contaminants back into the treated water unlike GFO or iron based products which do not. There are many vendors that sell GFO products such as Phosban, Bulk Reef Supply etc. Much better product and safer for your reef.

And yes you can place phosphate removal media in a bag in a low to medium flow area so it receives so flow but not enough to grind it to dust.

albertthiel
DO NOT use Phosguard.

It is an aluminum based product and releases the stored up contaminants back into the treated water unlike GFO or iron based products which do not. There are many vendors that sell GFO products such as Phosban, Bulk Reef Supply etc. Much better product and safer for your reef.

And yes you can place phosphate removal media in a bag in a low to medium flow area so it receives so flow but not enough to grind it to dust.

You may want to read this article on Aluminum oxide and its effect . It is so insoluble that it does not affect anything in SW tanks and reefs thanks to the high pH.

http://www.seachem.com/support/AluminumSol...ityToxicity.pdf

i have not found any references stating that once saturated it re-releases PO4 back into the water. Where did you get that information from if I may ask?

Albert

DO NOT use Phosguard.

Phosguard does not release stored up contaminants back into the water. In fact, aluminum silicate is vastly superior compared to GFO for forming a stronger bond with phosphates in order to prevent leaching. The manufacturer states "PhosGuard™ is not an exchange resin, it does not release anything into the water.

Please advise where you found this information that phosguard leaches contaminants back into the water. Certainly not here: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/PhosGuard.html

AZDesertRat

I has been demonstrated in drinking water plant testing for decades, this is why municipal systems prefer GFO based medias for aresenic treatment and not aluminum based medias.

THe ferric oxide medias do no thave this problem and act as a sponge binding the contaminants.

You may want to read this article on Aluminum oxide and its effect . It is so insoluble that it does not affect anything in SW tanks and reefs thanks to the high pH.

http://www.seachem.com/support/AluminumSol...ityToxicity.pdf

i have not found any references stating that once saturated it re-releases PO4 back into the water. Where did you get that information from if I may ask?

Albert

DO NOT use Phosguard.

It is an aluminum based product and releases the stored up contaminants back into the treated water unlike GFO or iron based products which do not.

This is simply not true

I has been demonstrated in drinking water plant testing for decades, this is why municipal systems prefer GFO based medias for aresenic treatment and not aluminum based medias.

THe ferric oxide medias do no thave this problem and act as a sponge binding the contaminants.

here is a graph showing the leaching of GFO and iron

ironlq.png

Edit: Just for the record, gfo breaks apart FAR more than phosguard. Phosguard sphears are coated with a plastic membrane that maintains the shape of the pellets and reduced destruction from tumbling. gfo does not.

albertthiel
This is simply not true

here is a graph showing the leaching of GFO and iron

ironlq.png

Edit: Just for the record, gfo breaks apart FAR more than phosguard. Phosguard sphears are coated with a plastic membrane that maintains the shape of the pellets and reduced destruction from tumbling. gfo does not.

Pure aluminum oxide can be used. It comes in either white little balls not coated, or in little cube not coated, and it can be used as such and will not leach PO4 or anything else it captures back into the water IME.

The commercial products that are modified aluminum oxide may act differently but the pure al.oxyde does not pose the issues IME that some are suggesting

FWIW

Albert

Just rinse it off well and throw the bag in the sump, it can take a few days to notice the results. It is a great product and IME much better than a GFO, I use Purigen as well as the spherical carbon Seachem makes and refuse to change.

Amphiprion1

I'm not a fan of it, as it does have some solubility, though small--the fine particles are mostly to blame. It can cause problems with some corals as a result, especially if too much is used. Randy was able to reproduce many of these same problems by comparing animals' reactions from aluminum oxide to added soluble aluminum. If used, I would use small amounts, at least to start with.

I am no expert, and am new to the Nano-Reef community, however I have done a lot of reading on the topic, as I used Phosguard to reduce the phosphates in my Bio14. I can say it work wonders, and I never saw any affect on my softies. However, I can sympathize with being cautious as there is so much information on the internet, sometimes too much to even put my head around.

Currently, I am at near 0 Phosphates with water changes, however when it does creep up I run Phosguard and get it back under control with no change to my corals/tank.

Archived