inTank Media Baskets

Live rock

Eben

Its pretty horrible in my opinion. Its not porous, horrible shapes. Definately in my opinion dont get it. Its not real live rock

Type in live rock on google. youll see what it should look like

Its pretty horrible in my opinion. Its not porous, horrible shapes. Definately in my opinion dont get it. Its not real live rock

Type in live rock on google. youll see what it should look like

:huh: I don't see anything wrong with it?

Its not porous at all. YOu wouldnt be getting all the bacteria you could get if you got actual lets say got live fiji rock

Although patback knows way more than me so if he says its good its good

Its not porous at all. YOu wouldnt be getting all the bacteria you could get if you got actual lets say got live fiji rock

Although patback knows way more than me so if he says its good its good

Thanx for the honest opinion everyone. Thats the confusing part about it. I've read that its actually dead blue coral called Heliopora. I was sold to me as fiji live rock, and not knowing any better, i bought it.

Could you get a picture up close of the rock? Maybe out of the water? I thought it looked porous but maybe I was mistaken.

chucktdbm321

Nothing seems wrong to me either... Just a different type. However seems very cured or its just dry rock that got thrown in recently

Its looking like pretty smooth coral skeletons to me.. not especially porous but that doesn't make it bad. With all the filtration options out there there is plenty of areas to have your bacteria with a not so porous of rock.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've read up and google some more and found that it is actually dead blue coral, called heliopora. The tank cleared up more, so i will take a close up pic and post tonight when i get home. Would be good to know if you guys think it is porous enough. :-)

I have no idea how you guys are making claims of how porous the rock is based off those pictures... All I see is tiny thumbnails where you can barely make out a half inch hole let alone a tiny hole in the rock... remember it really doesn't matter of the rock is holey unless you're looking for more hiding places, good porous rock is all about surface area, and you get the biggest increase in that from the barely visible holes in the rock.

Anyways, if it is a coral skeleton, that can be perfectly legitimate live rock... in fact the vast majority of live rock anyone has was a coral skeleton once. Any of the 'branching' live rock for example is all coral skeletons that have fused together, gotten covered in stuff, and eventually were chipped off and sold as rock for us. As long as the rock is made of aragonite and it is porous, it's legit for use in a reef or fowlr aquarium. As many have demonstrated, the bacterial cultures necessary can be started by almost anything, so as long as the rock meets those requirements, you can use it as live rock in a tank.

Then it just comes down to how much extra stuff comes on it, if you go with basically dry rock soaked in a tank for a while, you get virtually none of the potentially beneficial (though sometimes harmful) critters hitchhiking in on it, and it will take years for the rock to be covered in enough organisms to look like mature live rock. While the rock in the thumbnails looks a little more towards the immature side of live rock, it may not actually be young. If the live rock is kept without light then it won't develop the coralline and other things that make it look like live rock, and if it's kept there for a bit even after maturing in a lit area, the stuff on it can bleach out to make the rock look somewhat dead.

Archived