Coral Vue Hydros

Lighting advice got 5.5g

pat_man_ta

pat_man_ta

I need lighting suggestions for my 5.5g AGA nano. Everyting in it is thriving on an 18w standard AGA flourescent aquarium bulb. Macros, coraline, pods, the works. I have had a button polyp sprout and thrive in the past month, i hope it splits soon. The light is augmented by indirect sunlight and ambient flourescent light from the office it sits in. There is also an overhead 36" 30w light in my cube that I turn on to light up the fuge and augment things a bit.

I would like to get this tank set up for a run with corals.

I have a standard 16" flourescent fixture. I am thinking of getting the 15" ZooMed 50/50 bulb for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could use some help, i am having trouble digesting lighting information.:(

pat_man_ta

Are THESE any good ? Are the specs at least ok?

Brand new 2x9 watt Coralife Mini Aqualight Series! These use 2-9W Bulbs and are included (1-10k, 1-act 03)!  

Double 9W lamp unit (18W Total).

1x 9W Coralife 10,000K and 1x 9W Coralife Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamp Included.

Built-in Ballast.

Sleek Aluminum Housing.

Highly-Polished Reflector.

Acrylic Lens Cover.

On/Off switch.

12 Month Limited Warranty from Coralife/Energy Savers Unlimited.

Powercord length from unit: approx 5'  

Dimensions  9"L x 5 1/4"W x 2 1/16"H  

c_hemmerich

i was in the same situation that you are. i have a 5.5g nano but i have a fixture where you screw in the bulbs. i went to bigalsonline.com and found a 20W 50/50 mini compact and it is working VERY well. i have a red brain, yellow zoos. several mushrooms,ricordea and a candycane in the tank.

Since you have a fluorescent tube, i know that they have some on the web site and i would say go with a 50/50 or a plain old 10000k. There is a lot of debate if actinic is just for esthetics but it does look nice

pat_man_ta

So your 20w 50/50 works fine then? based on that It seems I should be able to get away with the ZooMed 50/50 bulb.

c_hemmerich

you should be able to. it has been working great for me for the last 3 months now. Before my 50/50 i just had a crappy light on the tank but now everthing in there seems to be very happy

pat_man_ta

Have added a "75w Daylight" flourescent bulb (actually 13w) and 5.5" reflector. I am pleased with the intensity of light it emits for 13$ at Home Despot. It lit up my back yard last night. I intend to grab another set tonight because it will take 2 to evenly light the tank. I'd like to get a 15" 18w blue actinic or 50/50 bulb for my AGA hood which is still being used.

pat_man_ta

Have added a second "75w Daylight" flourescent bulb (actually 19w) and 5.5" reflector. Ordered a 15" ZooMed 50/50 bulb for my AGA hood which is still being used with the standard flourescent.

The new corals i added sunday are all open and seem to be doing well. The red Lobophillia appears to be doing quite well and goes crazy when I introduce brine shrimp.

The only reason for concern I have at the moment is that the green in my starburst colony is not showing up, nor is it in my tulip anemones. There is a bit of green showing up in my mini carpet anemone however.

Archived