Cultivated Reef

Made stupid mistake. need advice

ironlungz

Hows it going everyone. So, i decided to remodel the LR in my 6g tank. I took about half out and replaced it with another cured rock from LFS. I put in the same amount of rock i took out. I also replaced about 70-80 of the water because I was also moving the tank to another location.

Heres the problem. I was an idiot and decided to throw my ricordea and 2 zoa frags in there after about 6 hours. A few hours later i looked at the ricordea and it was a little bland in color. The zoa's also looked like they were bad trippin. half open and half closed. decided to give it a few more hours and i checked back. They looked worse. I immediatley took them out and did some test. All pameters were fine. I woke up this morning and did some quick tests and saw a small spike in ammonia, roughly .25. Im guessing its a mini-cycle because of the new LR and large WC.

Heres where i need advice. I put the corals in a gladware container, how long can i possible keep them in there? Will it be ok if i change the water every few hours? Any advice on what I can do to keep those coral up, until my waters become safe enough.

Deleted User 3
Hows it going everyone. So, i decided to remodel the LR in my 6g tank. I took about half out and replaced it with another cured rock from LFS. I put in the same amount of rock i took out. I also replaced about 70-80 of the water because I was also moving the tank to another location.

Heres the problem. I was an idiot and decided to throw my ricordea and 2 zoa frags in there after about 6 hours. A few hours later i looked at the ricordea and it was a little bland in color. The zoa's also looked like they were bad trippin. half open and half closed. decided to give it a few more hours and i checked back. They looked worse. I immediatley took them out and did some test. All pameters were fine. I woke up this morning and did some quick tests and saw a small spike in ammonia, roughly .25. Im guessing its a mini-cycle because of the new LR and large WC.

Heres where i need advice. I put the corals in a gladware container, how long can i possible keep them in there? Will it be ok if i change the water every few hours? Any advice on what I can do to keep those coral up, until my waters become safe enough.

With proper light, and flow they would be fine... throw them in a bucket w/ a powerhead and a good light and you should be okay...

1fishmonger

I'd leave them in your tank and do water changes everyday until you see improvement. Your current cure sounds worse than the disease ;)

I'd leave them in your tank and do water changes everyday until you see improvement. Your current cure sounds worse than the disease ;)

What % water changes do you suggest? would 15-20% a day fine?

1fishmonger

Sure. You have a small tank and I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure your new water is up to par.

Also, it's normal for corals to close up while/after moving stuff around in your tank.

With params getting really far out of line, you will want a little larger water change. If you do a good job with matching the water change water with the current tank water you could pull through this without issue. If Ammonia was .25 and you did a 50% water change you would then have .125, so figure out what level of Ammonia you want and base your water changes on that.

Ima head to the LFS store and pick up some water. probably have them double check my params. hopefully they pull through.

So i did a water change. Looked at it about an hour later and they are definitely opening up a bit more. hopefully the ricordea get their full color back.

albertthiel
So i did a water change. Looked at it about an hour later and they are definitely opening up a bit more. hopefully the ricordea get their full color back.

The Ric's can be funny at times and not take moving them and subjecting them to changes in water quality too well ...

With Ric's are they ? The FLA's seem to be more sensitive IME than for instance the Yumas.

Here is a link to a whole series of pictures of them :

http://images.google.com/search?num=10&amp...1ac.qfGunVszAWc

Albert

Did you washed the live rock before placed it in the tank? Is it the rock came from their display tank or just in their holding container?

Archived