Pod Your Reef

Calcium reactor?

dattack

Has anybody attempted to make a calcium reactor by just using flat pieces of acrylic rather than buying expensive acrylic tubing?

Drilling holes would be much easier to work with and glueing the fittings should be much easier with square pieces too. The only downside is that you want to make sure that circulation is constant throughout without any dead spaces. This can be done with a spray bar actually within the calcium reactor chamber.

I already own a calcium reactor but might try to build a small HOB calcium reactor for small tanks. It should be fun.

Only rectangular CA reactor that I have seen is this, but I was thinking of making the calcium reactor about the size of a thick yellow pages book, similar to a overflow box.

This should cost about $40 or less in terms of acrylic, fittings, and tubings. Maybe even less.

Any thoughts? Any problems foreseen?

amcalciumreactor.gif

• 3 weeks later...

uhh... yeah CO2 rises to the top and sediment flown down with dissolution. A sprayer bar wont work.... provided I understand yer design (it being under the media) as it will eventualy stop rotating as sediment builds up around it. ttyl.

Archived