Innovative Marine Aquariums

neon goby with white/clear residue

SylvioFN

My 20g. tank seems to be fine: 2 months old, tons of liverock, hermits, snails, an actinia anemone, a coral banded shrimp, a soft coral. All doing great except the neon goby...

It has a white/clear residue scattered around his body. He is acting the same as always: eating a lot, hopping on my hand to "clean" it, and not doing anything unusual.

Any ideas to what he may have? Since medication for fish is hard to come by in Brazil, (no fish keeping market) and also many are not good for inverts, should I give him a freshwater dip? Any other "curing" ideas?

Thanks!

id do a good water change and siphon out any detritus there may be in the tank it sounds like excessive body slime. you may also want to check your pH if it is low he may be putting on a slime coat to protect against the low pH, a water change would help that also.

thanks man,

I tried to catch him to treat him but I couldn't and now 2 days have passed and he is all better!!! I am guessing maybe it was extra slime, but the ph is 8.2- I will do a good w/c though, prob 1 p/ week at least for a while now.

by 1p/week do you mean pint? i mean like 2-4 gallons per week, it is a much more efficient way to export nutrients and 1 pint wont do much at all on a 20g.

phew.... im very glad you arent doing wc's by the pint, im sure someone out there does, probably on the advice of an LFS employee with no clue but it just wouldnt work IMO.

Archived