Pod Your Reef

Custom LED Light Strips Enough for Corals?

mfield16

I purchased (through work) 4 LED light strips that are 12" long each. Each strip has 18 LED's. 2 Strips are 460nm blue, and 2 are 6500k white.

Each LED is 60 milliwatts, and every 3 LEDs is 9-11 lumens.

My question is, on a 15g Column tank, what corals can I successfully keep?

You can successfully keep....fish. :-) You need a lot more power than that to keep corals. These strips are for general lighting, not reef tanks.

I was afraid of that answer...

I have a few corals but they are not really growing, figured the light had a lot to do with that.

Could I add more of the strips or would that be useless. There are not many options for lighting this tank appropriately.

get a par bulb

I would have to go topless with a PAR bulb, which the GF would not like much at all. Plus my fish would be eating cat hair on a daily basis ;)

Would a PAR bulb be adequate on such a tall tank (think it's 18" tall)?

possibly. all tanks should have a cover of some sort since all fish will jump.

Agreed. Clowns are not known for jumping but better safe than sorry. All I have is clowns.

I could DIY some kind of PVC frame with wide mesh screen, and look into these PAR bulbs. Do you recommend anyrhing in particular?

My clown jumped. Now I have a mesh top on my rimless from bulkreefsupply.

That's perfect. I wonder if HD has anything I could use that won't have to ship. I know they have the DIY screen kits.

So PAR38 or more expensive LED (creed, etc,) are my only options it looks like.

Any recommendations on PAR bulbs and how many I would need?

What degree optics would I want with this size tank? I don't want any kind of spotlighting. A nice, even coverage is what I am after.

I have looked at the BoostLED , LEDTRiC Tri-Color, and Ecoxotic 18w TriColor. Which is the best?

Archived