Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

acclimate tank from t5 to LED?

el_ote

Hi all. I saw different methods for acclimating a tank to led and want to know which is more suggested

Mesh sheets on lid, remove.one. per week I imagine mesh from sliding door is OK

Painters tape layers as mesh and remove a layer a week

I've heard conflicting arguments regarding less time periods per day increasing slightly <--- my preferred

feel free too add otheres!!!

TeflonTomDosh
Hi all. I saw different methods for acclimating a tank to led and want to know which is more suggested

Mesh sheets on lid, remove.one. per week I imagine mesh from sliding door is OK

Painters tape layers as mesh and remove a layer a week

I've heard conflicting arguments regarding less time periods per day increasing slightly <--- my preferred

feel free too add otheres!!!

Dimming lights, shorter periods for lighting, raising fixture higher off your tank. You can acclimate really any of the ways you spoke of. Dont know of any research that has shown one way works better than the other. You're gonna regret changing to LEDs in a few months though, so you might wanna hang onto to that t5 fixture. ;)

TeflonTomDosh
Really?!?! But the tank looks awesome! I've read LEDs to be an upgrade, what did I miss?

I'm not saying they aren't awesome. Most of the people who I know that switched to them a year or so ago, have gone back to metal halides/t5s. It's been their experience that the LEDs just dont give the same pop that those 2 do, and the growth isn't as much as they'd been expecting. I had them in a nanocube I recently turned into a mantis tank, they were beautiful to look at, but I wasn't overly impressed. I think they're great for retrofitting tanks with hoods and such, but for larger tanks, with no hoods, not so much. JMO

Ill have to watch more closely on growth then. I am upgrading from a 2 bulb 18w t5 that didnt reach across the length of the tank. Im pretty sure this new setup will blow that one out of the water. thanks for the info!

I've seen several tanks that as crossed over and growth is the same or if not better. If you need reassuring take a look at the video of vivadaquariun 800 gallon tank. They're using radion LEDs but with your DIY full spectrum you wouldn't have any problem.

I'm not doubting my LED choice. I was just interested in how others have gone back from LEDs as I hadn't come across that in the forums. But to be honest, once I decided LED, I didn't read anything other that how best to set mine up.

Archived