SaltCritters.com

Aquarium Suggestions

Wizzy

So far I've found that 29 gallon and 30 gallon long tanks fit on my stand.

Any more ideas? :happy:

EDIT-

I wouldn't be against having 2 DTs and plumbing them into a shared sump.

Cadlights used to make a 40g long "artisan" tank. Don't see it on their site anymore though.

It was 36" x 16" x 16"

"Artisan" is their nicer tanks with starfire, rimless, etc.

Might be able to ask them about that.

Cadlights used to make a 40g long "artisan" tank. Don't see it on their site anymore though.

It was 36" x 16" x 16"

"Artisan" is their nicer tanks with starfire, rimless, etc.

Might be able to ask them about that.

That was one of the first tanks I found myself looking at.

Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere on their site either.

If I decide that's the one I want I may send them an email or something :happy:

Can you tack on a .75" piece of wood to the back? You are ever so close to being able to fit 48 gallons:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=120

I wish I could, but the stand is metal with melamine boards.

I can always get another stand, but I want to see if there's something pre-made (hopefully in the 40+ gallon range) that fits on this stand.

I was planning on putting a 40 gallon breeder on it, but it sits about .5"s over the edge on either side.

----

I found another AGA tank that fits- 45 gallon

Anyone know if these tanks are sold in the Petco Dollar per gallon sale?

So far I've found that 29 gallon and 30 gallon long tanks fit on my stand.

Any more ideas? :happy:

EDIT-

I wouldn't be against having 2 DTs and plumbing them into a shared sump.

then go with a 30, and put in a glass dividing wall.. plumb as if it were two tanks..

then go with a 30, and put in a glass dividing wall.. plumb as if it were two tanks..

When I said 2 DT's I meant two actual tanks lol.

JW, what would the benefit of dividing a single display into two sections?

Thanks though :happy:

Maybe try the LFS to see what's available?

I looked up a list of standard sizes at one near me and a 48l x15w x18h is a 60g tank....

Easily under $100 for tank alone if it's not rimless or starphire...

Maybe try the LFS to see what's available?

I looked up a list of standard sizes at one near me and a 48l x15w x18h is a 60g tank....

Easily under $100 for tank alone if it's not rimless or starphire...

I've been itching to go to the LFS, but just haven't had time lately.

I have a pretty large one that carries a good selection of dry goods (i.e. aquariums) which I want to go to.

I would love to put a 55 or 60 on my stand, but due to the length it would hang over ever so slightly (less than an inch).

I just don't feel safe having anything hanging over the edge.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

Whoops wishful thinking. I thought it said 48!

Yeah 55-60g is like more than 500lbs I think. Better not to go over the edge

So, my worry with the new stand I think I want is that there are 4 contact points.

The stand I already has sits completely flat on the ground (much safer).

So, any more suggestions for aquariums or how to make the new stand safer?

Deleted User 3
So, my worry with the new stand I think I want is that there are 4 contact points.

The stand I already has sits completely flat on the ground (much safer).

So, any more suggestions for aquariums or how to make the new stand safer?

metal reinforcements?

metal reinforcements?

I'm not worried about the stand supporting the weight of my aquariums.

I'm worried that because all the weight of the aquariums will be focused on 4 points that my floor will not be able to support it.

This tank is going on the second story of my house.

:happy:

Deleted User 3
I'm not worried about the stand supporting the weight of my aquariums.

I'm worried that because all the weight of the aquariums will be focused on 4 points that my floor will not be able to support it.

This tank is going on the second story of my house.

Oh dear. hmm.. Well, i dont know how much a bed + two people weigh, with a bed frame, wood and all that, but if floors can support that, seems like the tank shouldn't be too bad. If it's by the wall that will help too. Hmm.. that's a hard one.. Can you nail the stand to the wall for extra support? Take some pressure off the floor.

When I said 2 DT's I meant two actual tanks lol.

JW, what would the benefit of dividing a single display into two sections?

Thanks though :happy:

a 30 split into two tanks would be cooler, if done right.. section them off completely as if they were two separate tanks (both drain, they don't spill into each other).. you could do two different biotopes... personally I would just go with one larger display, but this would be cool, and cheaper than two individual tanks.. or, you could do the return into one section, then have that spill into the second tank waterfall style, then have that one as the drain side..

just a thought..

a 30 split into two tanks would be cooler, if done right.. section them off completely as if they were two separate tanks (both drain, they don't spill into each other).. you could do two different biotopes... personally I would just go with one larger display, but this would be cool, and cheaper than two individual tanks.. or, you could do the return into one section, then have that spill into the second tank waterfall style, then have that one as the drain side..

just a thought..

Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually thought about doing something like this, so I agree it could be pretty cool.

im guessing you are worried about the legs poking through the carpet and subfloor? wouldnt that be somthing to see :o

you could put a piece of wood going from one leg to the other or put wood pads under each leg. this would help distribute the weight. maybe get a 1x4 at hd and nail it to the floor from fron leg to back and set the stand on the wood.

Oh dear. hmm.. Well, i dont know how much a bed + two people weigh, with a bed frame, wood and all that, but if floors can support that, seems like the tank shouldn't be too bad. If it's by the wall that will help too. Hmm.. that's a hard one.. Can you nail the stand to the wall for extra support? Take some pressure off the floor.

Yes, a bed weighs a lot.

But, I think an aquarium may even weigh more with water being about 8 lbs a gallon.

I don't think I want to modify my house currently and so nailing the floor is probably not an option at this point.

im guessing you are worried about the legs poking through the carpet and subfloor? wouldnt that be somthing to see :o

you could put a piece of wood going from one leg to the other or put wood pads under each leg. this would help distribute the weight. maybe get a 1x4 at hd and nail it to the floor from fron leg to back and set the stand on the wood.

Yes, or causing the floor damage in any way.

I don't currently want to modify my home, but what I could do is purchase a large piece of wood the size of the stand and put that underneath the whole thing- essentially creating a base for it to lay on.

----

Thoughts?

the piece of wood would work. id use something like5/8 or 3/4" and make sure the piece of wood is flat so it will lay down nice for the stand to set on. give it a couple coats of paint and it should hardly be noticable.

Deleted User 3
Yes, a bed weighs a lot.

But, I think an aquarium may even weigh more with water being about 8 lbs a gallon.

I don't think I want to modify my house currently and so nailing the floor is probably not an option at this point.

Yes, or causing the floor damage in any way.

I don't currently want to modify my home, but what I could do is purchase a large piece of wood the size of the stand and put that underneath the whole thing- essentially creating a base for it to lay on.

----

Thoughts?

I said nail to the wall.. like you would a photo :P not the floor that wouldn't help.

Archived