SaltCritters.com

2 clowns, 1 algae blenny, and ________ ?

funkehouse

I have a 17 gallon tank, with 2 small clowns, 1 algae blenny, full CUC, but i think at some point i will want 1 more fish. I have very basic fish so far, what is something exciting that i can put in? either really cool looking, or very cool personality? I had a Firefish before and it did the leap of death after about a month , and i had a yellow watchman for 1 day that did the same thing the first night i had him. The Clowns i have had for 6 months, and the blenny for 3 months. Everything is going great tankwise, but i dont know what to do if i ever decide i want a 4th fish, so give me some options ! tell me what you think is cool, fun, and compatible with what im working with. thanks in advance !

Also, here are some pics of my tank, sorry for the cloudy glass. and the crap cell phone picture....

sideview.jpg

longview.jpg

a geometric pygmy hawkfish

oh yeah, if you could tell me Why also, im new into the hobby, and of course i would look anything up and research before buying it , but what is the reason you are recommending it? are they just cool looking? or do they have fun weird behaviours? any info would help !

Is your alge blenny a Lawnmower blenny?

If so I'd say your stocked as your fish will grow.

If not I'd recommend a goby of some sort possibly a goby/pistol combo as they are super fun.

TeflonTomDosh
If not I'd recommend a goby of some sort possibly a goby/pistol combo as they are super fun.

Yeah, for the hour each month that you get to see them :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I'm done with bottom dwelling fish. For the most part they are shy, easily disturbed, finnicky fish that hate my guts.

My Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp are out in the open all day long. I had a yasha goby that hid all the time though.

Where are the fishies hanging out in the water column and tank?

Does your tank have any interesting features that aren't being utilized (caves, etc?).

No more, that blenny will grow quite large.

yeah i think it may even almost get too big. I hadnt ever seen a LARGE adult until last week, and i was at a new LFS and i saw what im hoping is a full grown Lawnmower blenny and it kind of scared me , it was a lot bigger than the i thought it would get. i was thinking maybe 5 inches, but this thing looked bigger, and had a much fuller body, it would pretty big in my tank and i imagine a pretty big bioload. If that takes a few years then fine, i might have another tank by then anyways, but if it grows really quick then i might have to rehome it, i dont wany anything to suffer. I would miss him though, he does have a funny little personality. He loves to follow me around the room im in and check out what im doing.

And yes there is some unused space at the moment, i was also thinking a pistol/goby pair. is the pistol shrimp okay to house with my cleaner shrimp?

yeah i think it may even almost get too big. I hadnt ever seen a LARGE adult until last week, and i was at a new LFS and i saw what im hoping is a full grown Lawnmower blenny and it kind of scared me , it was a lot bigger than the i thought it would get. i was thinking maybe 5 inches, but this thing looked bigger, and had a much fuller body, it would pretty big in my tank and i imagine a pretty big bioload. If that takes a few years then fine, i might have another tank by then anyways, but if it grows really quick then i might have to rehome it, i dont wany anything to suffer. I would miss him though, he does have a funny little personality. He loves to follow me around the room im in and check out what im doing.

And yes there is some unused space at the moment, i was also thinking a pistol/goby pair. is the pistol shrimp okay to house with my cleaner shrimp?

I know what you are talking about, when I first got my LMB for my biocube14 he was about a inch long and in the last 4 months he has grown to almost 3.5 inches. If i wasn't currently upgrading I'd be trying to find him a new home.

In your tank stick with the 3 unless you re-home the LMB then you might be able to get 2 smaller fish as long as they don't compete for tank space.

Archived