Cultivated Reef

broken ballast?

j.e.

ok...I have run into a dilemma(sp?) tonight with my lights. while re-arranging some cords, one of my two 32wt PCs went out, and i took both out and tried both bulbs on both ballasts. Both bulbs work on one, and neither work on the other, so I have come to the conclusion that it is a problem with my (rather new) ballast. There is however, a set of exposed wires on each of my ballasts and am thinking that maybe they touched and caused some sort of shortage or...?

I have a SmartLite Ballast from Custom SeaLife for 1x32w PC, I opened up one end of the ballast and did not see any fuses. I am so confused as to what could have happened. Can anyone help me?? or am I SOL w/ the ballast?

Reefmaniac

If the metal parts of the wires are exposed and touched, you probably shorted out the ballast. Depending on where you got it from, you MAY be able to get some warranty protection on it, but don't hold your breath: They will see the wiring and probably tell you that damage caused from that is your fault and not a mfg problem.

Are there any other suggestions?

I don't really understand how the current from one ballast could cross over to another current if electricity always takes the shortest route. and even if it did, wouldn't it be more likely to blow out one of the bulbs than to short out my ballast? maybe i'm just in denial....

oh, also. I looked for any kind of spark when I plug in the disfunctional ballast I don't see/hear any spark, but I do with the other one, i'm not sure if that symptom helps at all...

Archived