ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Nuvo quality control? (UPDATED)

theGil

I received an Innovative Marine Nuvo Pico 4 yesterday, and I was stoked to open the box and check it out. But once I started to remove the plastic bag, the disappointment started to set in immediately.

First of all, the matte black part that covers the side of the sump is just some type of contact-paper/sticker. I don't know what I assumed it would be, but I didn't imagine that. I guess I figured it was going to be something more durable. Speaking of it's durability, it had scratches and a torn/rubbed-to-the-glass part on one side :(

Next, I noticed the really sloppy black silicone application. It's really overly thick in the sump (easily seen through back glass wall). And the back of the DT/sump divider has some sort of thick, silver marker in areas (guides for sump wall placement??). Speaking of that divider, there's a chip in the plastic at the top of it. Finally, there's some little shelf behind the intake/overflow opening that is not the prettiest work, either. I'm afraid of what I may find, if/when I remove the protective paper that is stuck to it.

Regarding, the Skyye Clamp 4, the plastic cover on the LED side has some markings (touched up?) on it. Not a huge deal, I guess, but disappointing none the less.

So what's the deal?? I've been on Innovative Marine's site ALOT over the last few weeks, and I really liked the look of their stuff. I had been considering their 38g for when I'm ready to move up in size. As of yesterday, I've pretty much ruled them out. I'm likely going to return the Pico 4.

So, PLEASE tell me that mine is a totally abnormal case and that their stuff is usually top notch in the craftsmanship department, and that they will do something to make this right. Please...

----------UPDATE----------

July 18 @ 4:17pm

Just spent about an hour on the phone with Steve at Innovative Marine. Wow, talk about someone who stands behind his product. He's going to make it right, and I can say that my confidence in Innovative Marine is extremely high at this point. I will DEFINITELY consider their 38g offerings, when it's time to move up in size.

Btw, looks like my Pico 4 was manufactured in Sept 2011, so it's a VERY early example.

-----------------------------

I received an Innovative Marine Nuvo Pico 4 yesterday, and I was stoked to open the box and check it out. But once I started to remove the plastic bag, the disappointment started to set in immediately.

First of all, the matte black part that covers the side of the sump is just some type of contact-paper/sticker. I don't know what I assumed it would be, but I didn't imagine that. I guess I figured it was going to be something more durable. Speaking of it's durability, it had scratches and a torn/rubbed-to-the-glass part on one side :(

Next, I noticed the really sloppy black silicone application. It's really overly thick in the sump (easily seen through back glass wall). And the back of the DT/sump divider has some sort of thick, silver marker in areas (guides for sump wall placement??). Speaking of that divider, there's a chip in the plastic at the top of it. Finally, there's some little shelf behind the intake/overflow opening that is not the prettiest work, either. I'm afraid of what I may find, if/when I remove the protective paper that is stuck to it.

Regarding, the Skyye Clamp 4, the plastic cover on the LED side has some markings (touched up?) on it. Not a huge deal, I guess, but disappointing none the less.

So what's the deal?? I've been on Innovative Marine's site ALOT over the last few weeks, and I really liked the look of their stuff. I had been considering their 38g for when I'm ready to move up in size. As of yesterday, I've pretty much ruled them out. I'm likely going to return the Pico 4.

So, PLEASE tell me that mine is a totally abnormal case and that their stuff is usually top notch in the craftsmanship department, and that they will do something to make this right. Please...

I have their 30 gallon and it is jaw dropping gorgeous. Prob a mistake in production

At least one person on the forum had an issue with a rank he ordered. The first batch was supposed to have serious quality issues. The only problem mine had was a crooked decal on the front. I ordered from Marine Depot and have been dealing with them for years with ZERO issues, so I had some peace of mind that if a problem did arise it would be handled. Send it back, get a new one. In addition, write a letter to Innovative Marine.

China....

I had a short rolled piece of acrylic used on the base, silicone was not even form chamber to chamber. One base cylinder was loose, they are lucky they sent this tank to me. There were a few other threads about this and how IM is trying to correct it.

Side is a vinyl that is supposed to be on there pretty good. Contact IM directly and they will take care of it.

All their pics on the site are CG, something that our industry is moving towards. It's hard to shoot a clear product. This tank sounds worse than any I have herd of.

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna email them a link to this thread and see if they can help. Otherwise, I'll just return it :(

China....

I had a short rolled piece of acrylic used on the base, silicone was not even form chamber to chamber. One base cylinder was loose, they are lucky they sent this tank to me. There were a few other threads about this and how IM is trying to correct it.

Side is a vinyl that is supposed to be on there pretty good. Contact IM directly and they will take care of it.

All their pics on the site are CG, something that our industry is moving towards. It's hard to shoot a clear product. This tank sounds worse than any I have herd of.

StevieT, I see that you're the InTank guy. I also had a question about the water flow in the sump. have you seen the sump on the Pico 4? I don't understand how the water could be forced to go through the stock media basket, once the level in the sump is high enough to get over the wall in the next compartment over. Or maybe I'm thinking that the media/media-basket would have to extend to all four walls in that section of the sump?

Don't link the thread just let them solve it from your situation only.

Oh ok.

Just spent about an hour on the phone with Steve at Innovative Marine. Wow, talk about someone who stands behind his product. He's going to make it right, and I can say that my confidence in Innovative Marine is extremely high at this point. I will DEFINITELY consider their 38g offerings, when it's time to move up in size.

Btw, looks like my Pico 4 was manufactured in Sept 2011, so it's a VERY early example.

StevieT, I see that you're the InTank guy. I also had a question about the water flow in the sump. have you seen the sump on the Pico 4? I don't understand how the water could be forced to go through the stock media basket, once the level in the sump is high enough to get over the wall in the next compartment over. Or maybe I'm thinking that the media/media-basket would have to extend to all four walls in that section of the sump?

Sump you mean rear chamber? I have not seen this tank personally but it looks like every other AIO on the planet.

Water enters the intake grates, goes through the top of the basket and is pulled out the bottom of the basket by the return pump in another chamber.

Water will never over fill the chamber one and spill over to chamber two.

Sump you mean rear chamber? I have not seen this tank personally but it looks like every other AIO on the planet.

Water enters the intake grates, goes through the top of the basket and is pulled out the bottom of the basket by the return pump in another chamber.

Water will never over fill the chamber one and spill over to chamber two.

Oops, yeah the rear chamber (I'm still learning these terms). I was talking about how the media basket doesn't fill the whole chamber (when viewing from overhead). So it seems that, once the media chamber is mostly-filled with water, that some (more than some?) of the water entering the media basket could just exit the basket before going all the way through it (since it's not sealed down the sides).

Man this is difficult to explain in writing :(

Oops, yeah the rear chamber (I'm still learning these terms). I was talking about how the media basket doesn't fill the whole chamber (when viewing from overhead). So it seems that, once the media chamber is mostly-filled with water, that some (more than some?) of the water entering the media basket could just exit the basket before going all the way through it (since it's not sealed down the sides).

I gotch'ya. Yeah, nothing is going to seal 100% but the inTank media baskets fit better and are a million times easier to work with.

Ok gotcha.

Yes you are correct, this is why their basket sucks and ours is/will be better. Now wonder what basket will fit the IM4. Will it be the IM16 basket or the IM8 or will it need it's own. Oh the joys of new design.

I gotch'ya. Yeah, nothing is going to seal 100% but the inTank media baskets fit better and are a million times easier to work with.

Yeah, they look nice, fo sho.

Ok gotcha.

Yes you are correct, this is why their basket sucks and ours is/will be better. Now wonder what basket will fit the IM4. Will it be the IM16 basket or the IM8 or will it need it's own. Oh the joys of new design.

Well, I can give you the measurements off of my Pico 4's media chamber, if you're thinking of designing a basket for it. Lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW Steve used to work/run JBJ thats why IM tanks and the new rimless cubes are twins. From my experience with both tanks IM is just a knock-off of a crappy product that has the same flaws, just rushed through quality control to beat JBJ to market.

Archived