Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clown Identification

DAS212

Hey guys!

I just picked up this pair of clownfish at the LFS. How much do you think they are worth? Im wondering if I overpaid. Apparently they are called Snow Onyx clowns and they are on the suppliers website but I have never read heard of those before. Thanks

post-74790-1342387464_thumb.jpg

Snowflake crossed with onyx clowns. Yup... So they're half percula half ocellaris. How much did you pay?

Snowflake crossed with onyx clowns. Yup... So they're half percula half ocellaris. How much did you pay?

Im embarrassed to post it incase I got hosed I don't wanna look like an ass in front of the entire NR community.

Flying Bones
Im embarrassed to post it incase I got hosed I don't wanna look like an ass in front of the entire NR community.

Haha...I bet most of those who would flame you have killed more $$$ worth of livestock than you just spent. But I am really clueless too so i'm no help.

I paid $300 for the pair. Think I got ripped off?

altolamprologus

You didn't get ripped off if you think they're worth it, which you obviously do.

Without knowing where you are, it is impossible to tell if they were fair market value or not. I would say that the farther inland you are, the more you'll probably have to pay. Also, I tend to think that there is a lot of value in being able to choose stock for yourself at your convenience.

I can tell you that around here it wouldn't surprise me to pay that price for them.

How large are they? If they're almost breeding size it would be average price, you could probably get them for a bit cheaper.

How large are they? If they're almost breeding size it would be average price, you could probably get them for a bit cheaper.

they are probably around 2.5 inches right now

The one issue im having is they are both around the same size so im worried one may die because they are being aggressive. They were shipped to the LFS together in the same bag, i saw the invoice, however who knows if they were a pair. I called the company that distributed them and they said they dont make any guarantees but in most cases they will be fine. They also advised me that I should ask the LFS to swap one out for a smaller of the same breed which will be easier for them to pair, is this true? Also, one of them has developed a red bump on his chin, im assuming its from running into a rock while it was getting bullied so that has made me a little worried.

- dave

Rollermonkey

Do you have an isolation box? Or worst case, a plastic strainer?

You can split them up when you're not watching the tank.

I'd say its a bit on the high side... I paid $200 for a pair of ORA Grade A Picassos... So I guess if you like them, its okay? :huh:

IMO just onyx clowns are more beautiful than any other that exists or can be bred. They would be half of what you paid for a pair.

Will your LFS take one of them back and give you store credit for another clown that is a little smaller or larger than the one you keep? I know my LFS would.

Also I've found my best designer clowns and best price at Frag Swaps, just a tip.

The LFS said they would take one of them back to swap out for a smaller one, the problem is my favorite of the two (i just simply like the designs on his body more) is the only one they would accept at the moment because the other one has a bump on his chin from running into something. I think I might just wait it out and hope they pair up.

Do you have an isolation box? Or worst case, a plastic strainer?

You can split them up when you're not watching the tank.

I only have one tank so splitting them wouldn't happen unless they were on the verge of murdering each other. In that case I would just run an airstone to a bucket and wait until the LFS store opened in the morning. They are good people so they would let me put him in one of their tanks until I hashed a deal out with them.

All I want is a pair of Gladiator Clownfish...I'd pay big $$$ for them.

Wow Gladiator Clown, thats pretty awesome man! Send me some pics if you find one!

http://reefbuilders.com/files/2012/05/new-...o-clownfish.jpg

I don't see what is so special about gladiators :huh: am I not seeing the right thing??

Did you click on the link i posted above

Did you click on the link i posted above

lol.. I did, but it doesn't look like the one I looked up earlier.. I DO like the one in the photo..

the one I was looking at earlier just had wider stripes (basically the orange was thinner).. it was not as impressive..

lol.. I did, but it doesn't look like the one I looked up earlier.. I DO like the one in the photo..

the one I was looking at earlier just had wider stripes (basically the orange was thinner).. it was not as impressive..

Haha the one I linked looks like it has a Roman Infantry helmet on! Pretty cool stuff

Archived