ReefCleaners.org

Student - big budget but even bigger perfectionist

nanolutionary

nanolutionary

So my question expanded. If I were to place this Ocean Rock into my freshly RO salt water filled aquarium:

img1310ko.jpg

By tlagden

Could I then add in a single piece of live rock to start cycling with the intention of the bacteria spreading across the ocean rock in time and how long would this process extend the usual cycling process by?

Yes, using dry rock is fine, and adding live sand and/or live rock will help seed the dry rock. This method is used quite a bit actually. It can take a few weeks to seed the dry rock.

Aqua fire/medic

Absolutely..... That's what I did. This process avoids many pests that you can commonly find on LR. Just select your piece of LR very carefully. You don't need much

sevenfourate

I was under the impression ocean rock is extremely heavy and dense and nowhere near as efficient in a tank as 'live rock' for filtration purposes because its internal surface area is soo much smaller, along with its ability to harbour beneficial bacteria ?

Why not at least get some uncured live-rock and then add a little live rock / sand from a long running tank to seed it ?

Unless the tank was very large and in order to save alot of $$$$$, i personally wouldnt use ocean rock as a base in any circumstance from what ive been led to beleive.

Good luck whatever you choose.....

You don't even need any live rock or sand to get your system going. There are several bacteria products available that can be used instead. I've now cycled two tanks that way. The first time it took 19 days. The second time it took 10 days.

Now, that said, the rock you've posted the photo of doesn't look very porous. If using dry rock, have a look at the Marco Rock website. Try to find dry rock that looks like that. The best dry rock to use is rock that is taken from dry inland reefs.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

http://www.eco-reefer.com/

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/shop/produ...zeostart-3.html

big budget = all lr from the start

Unless he has an aversion to dealing with the pests that can come in using LR. There are more reasons to use dead rock than just budgetary constraints. I'll personally never use the stuff again, for any reason.

Unless he has an aversion to dealing with the pests that can come in using LR. There are more reasons to use dead rock than just budgetary constraints. I'll personally never use the stuff again, for any reason.

cycling period is finding pest period lol...youre right though.

From the looks of that picture, it looks dense and not that great for dry rock. I'd say find better ones online that are more porous and light.

nanolutionary
There are several bacteria products available that can be used instead...

Could you elaborate on what bacteria products can be used to cycle a tank? Also thanks for the help! :D

Reef cleaners dry rock looks like its pretty nice stuff and it won't leech anything.

As you can see i'm from London (England) and am considering buying some LR if I can transport it back from the states on a plane?

I'm going away 1st August - what do you think - would it survive the journey!?

I find this post conflicting or it could just be myself being easily confused, are you saying you'll never use 'the stuff again...' meaning LR or DR? :mellow:

Why not at least get some uncured live-rock and then add a little live rock / sand from a long running tank to seed it ?

Am i being dense here or does this sentence not make sense? :huh:

There is no way you will be able to take live rock on the plane. Is there no fish stores in London? I can see why you have a big budget lol, those sterling pounds could really add up over here.

nanolutionary

I just want to make this clear as I can see I have made this clear as MUD! :o

I am on a 'big budget' in terms of having to be very restrictive with the money I am spending (because of this holiday to the states!), so this is why I am trying to search out some decent dead rock as it seems to be a lot cheaper - I guess dead rock on the plane will be fine right? :huh:

Then i'll get some good LR from London? :)

littlelactose

My vote is against bottled chemicals. Seeding dry rock with cured live rock is a good idea.

Of course, be picky about your live rock. Smell it! If it smells sweet, its cured, if not, its not. :)

Personally, I don't really worry about 'pests'...

I just want to make this clear as I can see I have made this clear as MUD! :o

I am on a 'big budget' in terms of having to be very restrictive with the money I am spending (because of this holiday to the states!), so this is why I am trying to search out some decent dead rock as it seems to be a lot cheaper - I guess dead rock on the plane will be fine right? :huh:

Then i'll get some good LR from London? :)

LOL big budget usually implies you have a lot of money to spend. Very confusing :huh:

Yes you can seed your dry rock with live rock when you get back to the UK. I would just be worried of the weight restrictions on the plane. There is a fee you must pay if your luggage exceeds their weight limits.

nanolutionary
There is a fee you must pay if your luggage exceeds their weight limits.

Good point not to mention 'the why are you harbouring coral rock' in your suitcase and destroying wildlife question i'll probably get asked if it's found lol

The last 3 trips I've taken on planes my luggage has been opened and checked FYI. Not sure id reccomend attempting to sneak anything through.

nanolutionary
The last 3 trips I've taken on planes my luggage has been opened and checked FYI. Not sure id reccomend attempting to sneak anything through.

In that case i'll find some good DR from England.

To answer your specific questions to me . . . I'll never use LR again. I linked to a couple of products: Microbacter7 and Zeostart3. :)

ive come from the usvi a few times with rock from the ocean in my bag and they have searched it and left the rock in the bag. but it was just a few pieces i picked up off the beach.

op maybe you could ship it to yourself? or do u have any local forums? maybe buy some from someone breaking down their tank. u can always kill the rock if u wanted.

Archived