Coral Vue Hydros

mandarin goby question

c_hemmerich

c_hemmerich

Just to know, if i have a well established refugium producing copopods on a 20g reef is it possible to have a mondarin goby in the tank? has anyone done this?

1fish2fish

Mandarins seem to be one of the more inflamatory topics on this board. Some people have managed to find mandarins at the LFS that will readily take frozen mysis and other foods. These are the animals that will undoubtedly have the greatest chance of survival.

They seem to pick through pods pretty fast. The fact that your refugium is established would definitely help, but I would probably keep my eye out for one that will accept frozen foods to give you the best chance of success. Make sure the guy at the shop demonstrates that it takes frozen food. If he says that they've already fed then ask when the next feeding is and be there for it.

Yeah, but u need live rock with lots of copepods lets say at least 45 lbsminimum maybe not even u might need like 75 lbs

Mandarins aren't good fish to keep, nano or not. They have awful survival rates in general, and virtually 0 in nanos (not quite 0, but close to).

Just do a search for "mandarin" and you'll come up with a lot of threads. An awful lot of threads.

As for finding one that eats frozen / processed food, good luck. Every LFS in the world will say that their mandarins eat frozen. That's almost never the case.

Don't get one thinking you will try it out and see how it does. The long-term effects of starvation happen quickly. By the time you see its belly caving it in, it's probably too late to save it by moving to a different tank. Its gut will be screwed up and it'll be dead in a few weeks.

HTH

I have had some luck using cyclop-eeze for my mandarin. I have spoken to a few people about Mandarins accepting the Cyclop-eeze (in the form of Marine Plankton from LLUSA) and they have all been favorable. I decided to try it out myself and the Mandarin was eating the cyclop-eeze during acclimation. You can even see him go after it every time I feed the tank with it.

cyclopeeze is people! :o

if you still don't have luck then try some of the live food sources over at sh.orgy. mandarins are less finicky than seahorses so i'm sure a lot of those options will work. just a lot of $$$. good luck!

1fish2fish

Yep, and as I mentioned.

Even if the LFS says the animal will take froen foods don't buy it until you have seen it do so for yourself. ;)

I really dont recommend the Mandarinfish in a nano reef tank not even a well established one, more than likely it will be dead with in a year.. they constantly forage the sand bed and rocks for pods and will easily decimate the population of pods within months.. JMHO

• 2 weeks later...
DitchPlains

I mean how big of range could they have on a wild reef, they don't look like avid swimmers, so they must survive somehow? I mean I have a #### load of pods in my tank and planning on building a fuge of 10gallons to my exsisting 12 gallon nano, then again I never had a Mandarin but I see they so cheap in a few LFS near my house. Curious about getting one, but then again I don;'t want to support a demand for a fish that will just die in a year. My SI percs are doing great as is my one Chromis....I had two but Mr. Minijet said night night to him. Well, this is just my opinion, I think I could keep him, but I doubt I could keep him happy, he might just survive which isn't what I want for my fish. I don't think I'll be getting one til i have my 120gallon setup. That will come after the hosue is bought, so will be awhile lol as I am still in my PhD program...lol

discusking86

ok i know this is rare...but i know this guy who has a mandarin goby and I was shocked to learn it eats flake food. i DIDNT BELIVE HIM until he fed his fish and sure enough it ate teh flake food one the sand. The fish was also 6 yrs old, adn never have I seen such a healthy mandarin

Archived