Innovative Marine Aquariums

Osaka 155 lighting upgrade

africaturtle

africaturtle

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to get into the hobbie for a while now, and have been waiting for my wife's approval :P and good deals...

Well, My wife gave me the go-head as a b-day gift and I've just found a fluval osaka 155 for sale with some interesting livestock, and I have to say, I love the look of the aquarium.

My only concern would be the poor stock lighting provided, it's 2*24watts T5s. It doesn't seem quite enough for any salt water tank, right?

So my question is: is it possible to change the sockets of the lighting units so that instead of the regular T5s , I could instal 2 red sea dual power comptact bulbs?

See what I mean?

Thanks for the help.

G.

randythefishdude

get good leds or upgrade to more t5s {good quality bulbs } 4 i think would be good .....power compact would be a down grade or bad idea t5s or led is better

Nice tank. I've been looking for a reasonably priced 155 myself(with no luck).

If you are planning on a FOWLR the stock lights are fine.

If you are thinking of trying to keep some photosynthetic critters it probably won't be enough. The Osaka is over 27" deep anything on the bottom won't see a whole lot of PAR from a pair of 24w T5s. I recommend adding on a retrofit of either more tubes or some LEDs.

Archived