SaltCritters.com

Quick Reply please for order purposes ! 40B overflow

Snapper

Part 1) I know I know, this is probably a VERY stupid questoin but I'm just hoping I can find a cheaper answer loll.

I am ordering a 1 3/4" drill bit for my glass for 2 drains, and I have 1 return at 1 1/2" drill bit, I REALLY don't want to spend another $14 for the return hole because its only 1 hole, is it ANYWAY possible to use my drain hole to cut out my return one as well? I know, size obvoiusly is different but i am speaking of maybe the gasket would cover the gap between the bigger hole and the smaller bulkhead??

Part 2) Also, is this the right stuff needed before I place my order.

2 1" bulkheads

2 1" Gaskets

1 3/4" bulkhead

1 3/4" Gasket

4 1" street 90 deg. elbow

2 3/4" street 90 deg. elbow

1 locline hose

1 3/4" locline WYE

1 Locline male adapter

2 Nozzles

Am I missing anything here? The rest of the aprts I figure I can buy from Lowes/HD.

PS: Do I need a 3/4" locline WYE or the 3/4" to 1" WYE Adapter?

PSS: What is the difference between the street 90 deg and regular one?

godfathernikki
Part 1) I know I know, this is probably a VERY stupid questoin but I'm just hoping I can find a cheaper answer loll.

I am ordering a 1 3/4" drill bit for my glass for 2 drains, and I have 1 return at 1 1/2" drill bit, I REALLY don't want to spend another $14 for the return hole because its only 1 hole, is it ANYWAY possible to use my drain hole to cut out my return one as well? I know, size obvoiusly is different but i am speaking of maybe the gasket would cover the gap between the bigger hole and the smaller bulkhead??

Part 2) Also, is this the right stuff needed before I place my order.

2 1" bulkheads

2 1" Gaskets

1 3/4" bulkhead

1 3/4" Gasket

4 1" street 90 deg. elbow

2 3/4" street 90 deg. elbow

1 locline hose

1 3/4" locline WYE

1 Locline male adapter

2 Nozzles

Am I missing anything here? The rest of the aprts I figure I can buy from Lowes/HD.

PS: Do I need a 3/4" locline WYE or the 3/4" to 1" WYE Adapter?

PSS: What is the difference between the street 90 deg and regular one?

Would the cost of changing your return to match the size of your drains be cheaper than the cost of a bit?

On my bulkheads, the flange extends about 1/2" past the hole, so it might work. You could try drilling out one of the drains, then put your return bulkhead in it to see if it works, that way you won't get stuck with an oversized hole for your return if it doesn't. Personally I'd just get the right tool for the job, though.

I used 1" all the way around to keep things simple., You can get a reducer of about any size you need to match the output of your return pump at a hardware store for a couple bucks.

a 90 street has a smaller "slip over" end on one side., a regular 90 is just a pipe to pipe coupler

So which type of 90 deg do I order for ease of plumbing?

are the "amount of specific parts" accurate btw or am I off on some?

I wouldn't mind switching to a 1" return, but do you think that is TOO big?

Would the cost of changing your return to match the size of your drains be cheaper than the cost of a bit?

On my bulkheads, the flange extends about 1/2" past the hole, so it might work. You could try drilling out one of the drains, then put your return bulkhead in it to see if it works, that way you won't get stuck with an oversized hole for your return if it doesn't. Personally I'd just get the right tool for the job, though.

I checked on the prices, generally parts from a 3/4" to a 1" have anywhere from $1-2 difference so at the end probably will end up the same. I also didnt see any locline parts for a 1" on glass-holes.com

It depends on what all youre trying to do., I use 1" bulk heads for everything., The street 90s fit right into the back of my bulkheads and are glued., I attached 1" Hose barb fitting to those and run vinyl tubing into my sump.,.,

2012-07-10122324.jpg

A mag7 return pump which is probably giving me about 500-550GPH by the time it gets to my tank., has a 1/2" output nozzle so I use a 1" to 1/2" reducer which is attached to a 1" hose barb fitting and vinyl tubing straight to my return bulkhead.,

2012-07-10122507.jpg

If I was you., I would order the things you cant get locally like your bulk heads and what not., Then go spend an hour in the lowes plumbing section and start piecing everything together so you know its all going to work out and fit right.

Thanks for the pictures.

Thats what I'm trying to do, if you check the list I put up its all tbr parts I need to order. Problem is I don't know if it's everything needed not including my lowes stuff.

All you really need to order is your bulk heads and locline., Everything else should be easily found locally.,., Dont think locline is available in 1"., Again I use a reducer to bring my 1" line down to 3/4" for the locline inside the tank., Good luck

Archived