ReefCleaners.org

Different Types of Filtration for Broodstock, growout systems

ericm1205

Wanted to get a few different opinions on different types of filtration for my broodstock system an wanted to see what everyone else is using or planning to build. on my 200+gal broodstock system i have a SRO 5000xt and it does a great job. Protein skimmers are only about 30% effective and they do a great job. but for the other 50% - 70% i want to keep my water cleaner. my water always has a yellow tinge to is cause i feed so much. i feed 2 large ice cube size frozen cubes and pellet and some flake for my 15 pairs in the system. so there is alot of food and wasted food and poop. only other thing i do for water quality is water changes. i am not trying to replace water changes, just making the water cleaner. i will still do my monthly water changes, i know i should do more but i cant seem to get the energy to do them more than once a month.i want to try something different. i know some do bio balls and i might want to try them. but i want to get everyones opinion is on an Algae Turf Scrubber or ATS.

i read a few threads and discussions on several sites and it seems like a great way to remove and polish the water better. instead of algae all over the tank sides, you grow it on a screen and lots of people have amazing results.

i see many people with reef tanks use it to battle algae and cyano problems to great results.

so i want to build one for my system and the growout system i am still building.

the new calculations are now based off feeding and food and not water volume and tank size. since us breeders feed alot more than most people, our scrubbers will be bigger than most.

anyone use bioballs to great success? how many per do you need per gal? i am not to familiar with BB cause i never used them. i know they do a decent job and i am not sure what they do, but what i remember they cnvert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. and a ATS will do that and the algae will use the nitrates also.

so i want to get some input and comments on what everyone thinks about ATS's.

i am gonna use 1w or 3w red 660nm leds and you dont need many. hardest thing is to protect the electronics. so i want to get some acrylic and built a case to have it in.

i did my calculations and based off of them i need a screen size of 120 sq inches. so i want to make my screen 10x12 or so. and i would only need 6 red leds. i might do 1w leds so i can place them closer and not get a spotlight effect and have better growth. so instead of 6 each side i might do 8 x 1w reds on each side.

i been thinking that the more clean the water is, the more healthy the clowns will be. and i think the eggs laid will be healthier for the 8 or so days that we keep them with the parents. i know if i tested my ammonia and nitrates it will be thru the roof and i dont like to use parent water for the fry or eggs during the hatching. so if the water is cleaner and then i could use some more parent water and it will be cleaner. plus i wont have to scrub the algae off the glass. i know that algae all over inside the tank will help the parents feel comfortable that they can lay eggs in the dirty tank cause the fry food would be sustained in their minds.

i want to try any simple and clean techniques to help my babies and broodstock be better and healthier.

would love some feedback or ideas good, bad, indifferent.

I use bb and skimmer, um water changes happen twice a week because that when I suck the crap off the bottom of the tanks. I don't use filet socks because of the volume of water I run they my system. I am in the process of second ozone but first I need to get a new pump with ozone safe seals and I also need some ozone tubing for my air lines.

I'm going to incorporate an ATS into my new grow out system. I'm not going to spend a lot on it and make a cheapo one with flood lamps but if it does well I'll make improvements and modifications to it down the road.

mine is gonna be cheap too. some red leds and a screen.

Rich, whats the benifit for using ozone? i seen Doni used it for a while but stopped.

mine is gonna be cheap too. some red leds and a screen.

Rich, whats the benifit for using ozone? i seen Doni used it for a while but stopped.

Cleaner water. Pathogen killer also.

Very careful with using tas. Most peoples pairs stop spawning when they are added to a system. Personally there are alot of other ways to combat nutrient problems that are much safer.

Very similar to running uv

Archived