ReefCleaners.org

kalkwasser

jjharrisx4

Hey everyone...how many of you dose kalkwasser for your top off? How has it worked for you? I'm just going to start dosing tonight. I think I evaporate about 1/2 - 1 gal per day in my main tank, so I'll replace about that much...I'm planning on dripping 24/7...what and how do you guys do it?

I mixed 1-2 tsp per gallon of RO/DI water and dosing 24/7 for topoff. my coralline algae all over the glass and I have to scrap if off at least once a week. btw, I use mrs. wage pickling lime.

That's the best use there is for a credit card. I'm using Kent Kalk right now because I was given a jar, but will change to pickling lime when it's out. I've got a ton of coralline now, but was thinking that I'd like more CA for my two SPS frags and several LPS corals. I'll keep you updated.

have you guys noticed an increase in CA or just maintaining? I'm hoping to see an increase to about 400ppm or so. Currently I'm about 340ppm.

Dosing kalkwasser(pickling lime) only maintance Ca+Alk. You have to use turbo calicum to bring the Ca(~425ppm) and baking soda bring up Alk to 7-11dkh. keep in mind that if you depend on kalk to incresaing your Cal, your Alk and pH will also increase too(that is why your testkit very handy).

I dosed a gallon of limewater every day in my old 20 gallon tank. It had a couple Acropora frags and a large Porites colony in it. I had to spike the limewater with vinegar (which increases the dissolution of lime) in order to maintain proper calcium and alkalinity levels. And after a while even that couldn't keep up. For just LPS, coralline, etc it works fine. Once you get some fast growing SPS in there, it may not be enough.

-Chris

Yeah, I have a low light tank now that doesn't calcify nearly as fast as my old one, so I don't use vinegar anymore. It definitely increased the amount of lime I was able to dissolve, but there are potential drawbacks. If your cal/alk needs are so high that you need vinegar, there are other solutions as well (2 part supplements, cal reactor).

-Chris

what type of vinegar and how much? I mix up 1/2 g of Kalk to drip in every 24 hours or so. It sounds like the vinegar will make the CA concentration higher in the Kalk solution...am I on the right track?

I've been using Seachem Calcium to dose for a few weeks, it doesn't seem to affect ph the way kalk does. Is there any reason I don't see anyone else on this board using it? I guess what I'm asking is there long term negative affects to using this instead of kalk?

brsbutton.gif

Brianc_4

Brianc, adding Seachem Calcium (calcium chloride) is only for short term solution to boost up your Cal. Don't use it for long term because ionically not balance(unless you doing once week water change). That is why most pple use B-ionic or Kent A+B.

what are you guys using to dose you kalk? ive seen the iv drip systems but they are pretty small containers. how are you dosing a gallon?

I use a 5 gallon bucket, a peristaltic pump, and a float switch. It's not as cheap as a drip system, but I never have to worry about drip rates. I just dump in some pickling lime and water whenever the bucket is empty.

-Chris

Useing seachem reef ca is not for short term use. Many of my friends have been useing it for many months as their main way of maintaing calcium levels. Also, pickleing lime is not reccommend as it contains other things then just the lime. Reef kalk mix is refined, and its not like it costs much more then pickleing lime. If you dident want to spend money on your reef why did you even bother?

I personally use B-Ionic.

I agree whole heartedly with the previous post by Suprax. Dont do a Ghetto tank.....

And FWIW, Calcium Chloride will iritate fish..... its a rock salt component used mainly in deicing compounds.. and is not reccomended as it is highly caustic.

Archived