Top Shelf Aquatics

Chaeto turning to clear mush after separating

Genj

After having a ball of chaeto in the fuge for a few months with everything going well I had to half it. This is where I am now noticing portions of the chaeto turning clear with small brown lines in it. I'm still seeing a bit of cyano and diatoms in the tank and was curious what the community thought.

I light the chaeto with 9w of warm white LEDs and I pump chamber 3 water up to the fuge to keep the flow going. I light the chaeto about 18 hours a day, going off at 3AM, and back on 9AM. hermits, dragons breath, and pods are the only other living thing with the chaeto.

Should I cut off these dead parts?

After having a ball of chaeto in the fuge for a few months with everything going well I had to half it. This is where I am now noticing portions of the chaeto turning clear with small brown lines in it. I'm still seeing a bit of cyano and diatoms in the tank and was curious what the community thought.

I light the chaeto with 9w of warm white LEDs and I pump chamber 3 water up to the fuge to keep the flow going. I light the chaeto about 18 hours a day, going off at 3AM, and back on 9AM. hermits, dragons breath, and pods are the only other living thing with the chaeto.

Should I cut off these dead parts?

What kind of hermits? Blue legged crabs eat cyano, so it's feasible they (or another species) could be munching on chaeto.

This happend to me also. You cut off too much and now the cyano and other algae are taking all the nutrients faster than the little ball of chaeto. I learned my lesson and started taking out only 1/4 at a time.

This happend to me also. You cut off too much and now the cyano and other algae are taking all the nutrients faster than the little ball of chaeto. I learned my lesson and started only taking out 1/4 at a time.

Well, that makes no sense whatsoever. How can a small ball of chaeto be starved for nutrients that were supporting a bigger ball?

Well, that makes no sense whatsoever. How can a small ball of chaeto be starved for nutrients that were supporting a bigger ball?

not starved, out-competed.

Archived