SaltCritters.com

Anyone have problems shipping motitopora?

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

well i shiped out a moti frag and it soupposedly died.i had it in a small container and it took 3 days to get there.I fragged it about 3 days before shipping and it had a slight tint of brown on the edges but was in good shape.Maybe 3 days in the dark killed it.anyone have problems shipping those or ever recieve a dead peice?

well i shiped out a moti frag and it soupposedly died.i had it in a small container and it took 3 days to get there.I fragged it about 3 days before shipping and it had a slight tint of brown on the edges but was in good shape.Maybe 3 days in the dark killed it.anyone have problems shipping those or ever recieve a dead peice?

Dude. You can't ship SPS out in 3 day mail, even overnight is risky. And fragging something 3 days prior to shipment? Do you think you are mr coral?

1. Frag your SPS at least a week prior to shipment so that they have time to encrust, a few weeks is even better.

2. Ship overnight, earliest AM delivery is even better.

Builder Anthony

hmm well i thought it would be ok since some of the stuff comes out of the water.well lenson learned but anyone else have a opinion?motis are sps?

A while back, i had a friend pick up a purple montipora capricornas frag and a haycinth birdsnest from another friend. He had it for 10 hours in a bag of water in a styrophoam cooler in seperate bags. The monti cap was almost DOA. It didnt make it. However the birdsnest didnt even lose any color and is growing in my tank.

jedimasterben
Dude. You can't ship SPS out in 3 day mail, even overnight is risky. And fragging something 3 days prior to shipment? Do you think you are mr coral?

1. Frag your SPS at least a week prior to shipment so that they have time to encrust, a few weeks is even better.

2. Ship overnight, earliest AM delivery is even better.

+1 to all of this

and do you know that it is hot as balls all over the US? If you didn't include a cold pack, it will die no matter what way you send it.

altolamprologus

I shipped 3 monti cap frags priority mail and they all survived the 3 day trip. It was probably your packaging

And fragging something 3 days prior to shipment? Do you think you are mr coral?

That's sig-worthy. +1 to everything you said.

altolamprologus
well there was a cold pack but not much water in the container.

The lack of water is your problem. Corals will suffocate in their own mucous if there isn't enough water present. The way to do it is as much water as is feasible to ship with each coral wrapped in a sheet of plastic (half of a fish bag) in a styrofoam box inside the cardboard box and styrofoam peanuts filling up the extra space. That will almost guarantee the coral will live, but it is a little more expensive to ship (which honestly shouldn't matter when it comes to cost vs. keeping animals alive)

Builder Anthony

i bet thats what happened.I mean it had a tinger of brown on it but with it doing so well in the tank before fragging i thought it would make it.It could of used more water i souppose.Well im sending the guy some zoas to make up for it but i honestly dont think montis will do good in the mail for like three days.He said the water was fould so maybe like the shaking of the transdportaing made it spit out some mucus he said it was bone white and for that to happen it had to have happened like in the first day of shipping i would guess.I know brown slime works fast but generally at least more then a day to eat the coral up to the bone.so no more monti shipping for me.Sucks it was a preety good size frag to took a while to grow it out.it was in a real small container like the one you keep spices in but it origiaonal held sprinkles for cupcakes.it was clean but not enogh water.tryen to get used to shipping as well.i sent a maxi mini and some zoas the same way in that shipment and they were ok.the maxi mini is uasually out of the water.........i just need to find some wide containers for small priority orders does anyone use something that fits those small boxes?

I shipped 3 monti cap frags priority mail and they all survived the 3 day trip. It was probably your packaging

My experience is Montiporas are so hardy you can bring one back from MExico in a wet pocket. But 3 days is way too much for any coral imo.

Archived