inTank Media Baskets

Before Finding Nemo?

Euphyllia

Just a few questions that crossed my mind today...

Before Finding Nemo, was the hobby as big? Were there as many saltwater fish stores?

Before Finding Nemo, were clownfish that #1 popular fish that everyone wanted? Were tangs (Dory) that popular as well? What was the most popular fish before the movie came out?

Anything else anyone was wondering about what it was like before Finding Nemo?

I came into the hobby a few years after Finding Nemo, so I didn't see the before and after. I came into the hobby as a challenge for myself, not because of seeing the movie lol... But that is why I wanted a clownfish.

Is finding nemo a movie? Wtf are you trying to ask?

she's asking how popular the hobby was before the movie, how did you have trouble gathering that from the post?

Finding Nemo 3D is going to theaters soon.

IKR? I saw the ad for it when I watched Brave. I was like... "Wow Disney. Being like Nintendo, huh? Just releasing the same crap over and over making it ever so slightly different." Disney is to Nintendo as the 3DS XL is the Finding Nemo 3D lol.

Is finding nemo a movie? Wtf are you trying to ask?

Wut...? :mellow:

BACK ON TOPIC! Who was around before Finding Nemo who can answer mah questions? :)

Me... My dad owned a fish store 15-20 years ago and I've been in/out of the hobby since I can remember. And to be clear, TONS have changed since then.

TeflonTomDosh
she's asking how popular the hobby was before the movie, how did you have trouble gathering that from the post?

"She" is a "He", He just talks & acts like a girl.

Me... My dad owned a fish store 15-20 years ago and I've been in/out of the hobby since I can remember. And to be clear, TONS have changed since then.

Can you answer the questions posed specifically?

Like was the hobby smaller before Finding Nemo and it was Finding Nemo that directly caused the spike? Were clowns popular before Finding Nemo, or did Finding Nemo cause the spike? :huh:

slickwill613

I never heard of that movie. Looked it up on imdb. Guess if you don't have kids you don't know about that kind of stuff.when that came out I was in my junkie high school years. But I do have a kid now. Sorry for the confusion.

I never heard of that movie. Looked it up on imdb. Guess if you don't have kids you don't know about that kind of stuff.when that came out I was in my junkie high school years. But I do have a kid now. Sorry for the confusion.

No way. You have a TV don't you? You had to see advertisements. :blink:

It's been the most popular Disney movie since it came out IMO and they always replay it on TV and... How can you be in this hobby and not know who Nemo is? :(

TeflonTomDosh

In all seriousness though. I don't think the movie caused much of any spike. The only people that were going out to get a clownfish for their kids were the very few parents who thought it was easier than it looked. I'd say the spike, if any, would be now as most of the people who saw that movie when originally out would now be old enough to start a tank of their own. Doubt many of them are inspired by that movie though.

In all seriousness though. I don't think the movie caused much of any spike. The only people that were going out to get a clownfish for their kids were the very few parents who thought it was easier than it looked. I'd say the spike, if any, would be now as most of the people who saw that movie when originally out would now be old enough to start a tank of their own. Doubt many of them are inspired by that movie though.

Hm... So the hobby has always been this big, huh? :mellow:

Did it cause a spike in clownfish purchases? That's like the most popular saltwater fish in the world. There's all these designer strains of them, but no other fish.

brinyreefer

I believe the clown was one of the most popular SW fish before the movie. I mean who didn't know what one was and that they lived in an anemonemone. Amnemonemomne.

Then there is also the lionfish that people were made aware of from Naked Gun and Deuce Bigalow.

As for me I have always wanted a SW tank since my friends dad had one when I was in HS 19 yrs ago.

I believe the clown was one of the most popular SW fish before the movie. I mean who didn't know what one was and that they lived in an anemonemone. Amnemonemomne.

Then there is also the lionfish that people were made aware of from Naked Gun and Deuce Bigalow.

As for me I have always wanted one since my friends dad had one when I was in HS.

Oh.. Wow. I always thought the movie caused the spike. So clowns have ALWAYS been the most popular fish? :huh:

brinyreefer
Oh.. Wow. I always thought the movie caused the spike. So clowns have ALWAYS been the most popular fish? :huh:

I don't know about that(besides, I never said always, just one of the more popular), but I remember learning about them in elementary school. Then there are a bunch of jokes/puns about clowns.

LOL. "Designer stains" come from selective breeding, how many other saltwater fish are captive bred?

<--------

Mandarins, anglers, tons of blennies, neon gobies, dottybacks, assessors, caridnals, seahorses, ect. Shall I name more? :)

Well I guess this thread has answered my questions... Thanks guys!

PS: If you watch finding nemo, look where the arrow is pointing. :D

I've been in the hobby working in stores for the last 15 years and I can tell you that even BEFORE the movie everyone wanted percula/occelaris clownfish, mainly because they like the colors/patterns but some people also liked that particular type of clown because of how it swims "kind of awkward almost like its always learning how to swim for the 1st time LOL"

<--------

Mandarins, anglers, tons of blennies, neon gobies, dottybacks, assessors, caridnals, seahorses, ect. Shall I name more? :)

So I dont have to watch the movie AGAIN what arrow are you talking about and what way is it pointing?

andrewguilfoy

I think clownfish were a popular variety regardless. They are a very interactive fish. I think rather than thinking of finding nemo as a spike, think of the clownfish as an inspiration based on it's friendly appeal to the consumer.

Both varieties are popular anyway as the clown and powder blue tang, are also hardy, and easy to keep. Maybe it was just a coincidence based on some producer guy having a fish tank in his office?

Xenia_farmer
<--------

I guess I should have said in large numbers, plus most of those have only recently been bred.

So I dont have to watch the movie AGAIN what arrow are you talking about and what way is it pointing?

The arrow at the top of my post. It's pointing to something that was repeated in the movie COUNTLESS times, maybe 50 or more. There is no way somebody could miss that. :lol:

Chrisl1976

I would guess the inquires into keeping saltwater fish probably increased a ton, not sure more much of that equated into sales........Kind of like what is required to keep a rabbit around Easter.

brinyreefer
The arrow at the top of my post. It's pointing to something that was repeated in the movie COUNTLESS times, maybe 50 or more. There is no way somebody could miss that. :lol:

For some reason I don't think that is your real location... I mean, who lists their name in the address line?? :P

I think clownfish were a popular variety regardless. They are a very interactive fish. I think rather than thinking of finding nemo as a spike, think of the clownfish as an inspiration based on it's friendly appeal to the consumer.

Both varieties are popular anyway as the clown and powder blue tang, are also hardy, and easy to keep. Maybe it was just a coincidence based on some producer guy having a fish tank in his office?

Not a powder blue, Dory was a Hippo/Regal tang.

And yes Clowns were huge, huge huge before Nemo, and so were hippos. In fact all the fish in Nemo were popular aquarium fish. I would guess one or more of the writers had their own tank.

The incredible popularity of saltwater currently is because of successful reefkeeping methods and has nothing to do with fish, IMO

Archived