ReefCleaners.org

plate coral tissue receding.

jgpico

I was looking at my tank last night and I noticed that my orange plate coral has some tissue rcession around its mouth. How can I stop this? Would a dip be benefitial? QT? help me out here, I have had this plate for almost the whole time the tank has been up and I haven't had issues until now.

Pics. Maybe a hermit plucked food out or somthing.

I wasnt able to get any decent pics because my leds make the orange glow like crazy and you can't see what im talking about. I usually watch when I feed and if the hermits get close I move them away.

albertthiel
I wasnt able to get any decent pics because my leds make the orange glow like crazy and you can't see what im talking about. I usually watch when I feed and if the hermits get close I move them away.

Without pictures it is going to be hard to tell what is going on I think

Without pictures it is going to be hard to tell what is going on I think

Thats what I figured. I will try to get some pictures as soon as I get home.

albertthiel
here is the best pic I could get of the plate.

32bb29c0.jpg

Could be but it is hard to see whether it is just closed or whether it is loss of tissue. When you took this pic were the lights on or off ?

Albert

Could be but it is hard to see whether it is just closed or whether it is loss of tissue. When you took this pic were the lights on or off ?

Albert

The lights were on but I had to use the flash or the plate is just an orange blur under my LEDs. You can see the skeletal ridges close to the mouth. The tissue is receding and the skeleton is being revealed. Sorry you can't see much of what I'm talking about from the pictures. Thanks for any help you can offer Albert.

albertthiel
The lights were on but I had to use the flash or the plate is just an orange blur under my LEDs. You can see the skeletal ridges close to the mouth. The tissue is receding and the skeleton is being revealed. Sorry you can't see much of what I'm talking about from the pictures. Thanks for any help you can offer Albert.

I understand and what I would do to determine whether there is predation or not is look at it at night when the lights are out to determine whether anything is crawling on it ... but you will need to do so with a flashlight covered with a piece of red translucent plastic so you do not scare off whatever may be on the coral.

Yours looks like a Fungia type (the name plate coral is given to many different types of similar looking ones or hard ones that do not have those ridges that run from the outer part to the middle a little like spokes)

If nothing is crawling on it at night and if there is no predation then it may have either been damaged or infected and is losing tissue as a result in which case you will need to treat it to eradicate any fungus or other type of infection.

Note that the type you have does not always show long tentacles, in fact they can be very very short.

Here is a link to a page that shows many many types and how they look

http://images.google.com/search?num=10&amp...TCYG-9QTC9o3pBg

Let me know what you find out after observing it at night ...

Albert

albertthiel
That doesn't look orange at all. From the pics it even looks a bit bleach or undercolored.

Yes to me it looks like it may have tissue loss ... either due to infection or water quality parameters or possibly predation on that plate ... your thoughts?

That doesn't look orange at all. From the pics it even looks a bit bleach or undercolored.

The plate isnt bleached at all. That picture was with the flash because under the leds the plate glows bright orange.

Yes to me it looks like it may have tissue loss ... either due to infection or water quality parameters or possibly predation on that plate ... your thoughts?

Hey Albert, I have watched the tank a couple times with a red light at night and saw nothing. My tank params check out ok so I don't think it is that.

Builder Anthony

my plate has been severly stung and had tissue loss from lobo tenecales.each time i feed it and it recovers.i have it in high light sinv=ce it hasnt detached from its branch yet.

albertthiel
The plate isnt bleached at all. That picture was with the flash because under the leds the plate glows bright orange.

Hey Albert, I have watched the tank a couple times with a red light at night and saw nothing. My tank params check out ok so I don't think it is that.

Glad to read it so there is no tissue loss then ? If there is I would dip it for preventing infection

Albert

Archived